Quantcast

[ jEdit-users ] strange freeze

czinege viktor
Hi,
For a while jedit always "freezing".
It means, does not respons for 10-20 sec and after continues the work.It is quite annoying that it does in every minutes. I am running other java apps (i.e. eclipse) and they work normally.
The task monitor does not show any extra CPU usage.
Have anybody faced with it? How could I find the root cause?

Win7
Jedit: 5.3pre1
java: 1.8.0_66

thanks.
br
Viktor

reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: [ jEdit-users ] strange freeze

First, check if it happens with -noplugins or -nosettings (probably not).
Then, make sure all your plugins are up to date.
After that, try to determine which plugin is causing the problem.

Perhaps you can list all your plugins+versions?
(macros - misc- insert plugins list)

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 2:19 AM, czinege viktor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
For a while jedit always "freezing".
It means, does not respons for 10-20 sec and after continues the work.It is quite annoying that it does in every minutes. I am running other java apps (i.e. eclipse) and they work normally.
The task monitor does not show any extra CPU usage.
Have anybody faced with it? How could I find the root cause?

Win7
Jedit: 5.3pre1
java: 1.8.0_66

thanks.
br
Viktor

reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: [ jEdit-users ] strange freeze

maxwell
On 2016-07-25 05:19, czinege viktor wrote:

> Hi,
> For a while jedit always "freezing".
> It means, does not respons for 10-20 sec and after continues the
> work.It is quite annoying that it does in every minutes. I am running
> other java apps (i.e. eclipse) and they work normally.
> The task monitor does not show any extra CPU usage.
> Have anybody faced with it? How could I find the root cause?
>
> Win7
> Jedit: 5.3pre1
> java: 1.8.0_66

I'm running jEdit on two different Win7 machines.  One has jEdit 5.1
installed, with Java 1.8.0_92; the other (which I don't have access to
at the moment, but will this evening) has jEdit 5.3.  Not sure which
version of Java that one has, but it's probably 1.8.0_92.  I don't have
freezing issues on either one under most circumstances.

I do have occasional sluggishness on both systems when I'm using the
(S)FTP plugin: when jEdit has been idle for awhile, and I start to type
into (or delete from) a buffer that represents a remote file, several
seconds (in some cases 10 seconds or more) can go by before I see any
response.  I believe, but am not sure, that this has to do with the FTP
plugin talking to the server, and the server not responding instantly.
(It can also be sluggish when loading the contents of a directory over
FTP, or when starting up and it's loading lots of files via FTP.)  I
turned off "Two-stage save" and "Backup on every save" in the Global
Options (under Saving & Backup), thinking jEdit might be trying to save
a copy on the server before altering the buffer, but that had no effect.

I also have sluggishness--indeed, for all practical purposes jEdit will
halt--if I load a large structured file (such as an XML file) without
setting "Context insensitive syntax highlight" or "No syntax highlight"
for the file.  See the bottom of the "Editing" tab  under Global
Options.  I have it set to "Ask", but I make sure I don't choose "Keep
Full syntax" for large files.  (I don't know how jEdit's decides what
"very big" is, I suppose it could bog down on some intermediate-size
files.)

    Mike Maxwell
    University of Maryland

reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: [ jEdit-users ] strange freeze

czinege viktor
thank you.
One of my custom plugin caused it.
After I removed it everything was fine:-).

br
Viktor