Quantcast

[ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

[ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

Peter Rockett
Hi

New to jEdit but experiencing a persistent problem when trying to
install plugins. The plugin manager repeatedly fails with "Error while
downloading the plugin, please try another mirror". Except trying lots
of other mirrors and different machines/locations over a number of days
consistently produces the same outcome. Now either all the mirrors are
simultaneously broken all of the time or there is an issue!

I am aware this problem seems to have been raised a number of times over
the years but I cannot find any resolution other than advice to try a
different mirror... which definitely does not solve it for me. (FWIW: I
can install plugins manually but this is a real pain due to slow
download speeds and the need to satisfy undocumented dependencies that
do not become apparent until you try to run the program.)

Is there any definitive advice here on the issue with the plugin manager?

Using jEdit 5.3.0 & openjdk-8.

Peter

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

maxwell
On 3/2/2017 8:21 AM, Peter Rockett wrote:
> New to jEdit but experiencing a persistent problem when trying to
> install plugins. The plugin manager repeatedly fails with "Error while
> downloading the plugin, please try another mirror". Except trying lots
> of other mirrors and different machines/locations over a number of days
> consistently produces the same outcome.

I've run into this some lately, but have always succeeded in finding a
working mirror (the last time less than a week ago).  The first thing to
do is to go to the Global Options Dialog, and click on Plugin Manager.
(Or from the Plugin Manager itself, click the button for Download
Options.)  This gives a list of known mirrors, but it's probably out of
date.  Click on the Update Mirror List button to get a newer list, then
choose one from the list and try downloading your plugins again.
--
    Mike Maxwell
    "My definition of an interesting universe is

On 02/03/17 13:30, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> On 3/2/2017 8:21 AM, Peter Rockett wrote:
>> New to jEdit but experiencing a persistent problem when trying to
>> install plugins. The plugin manager repeatedly fails with "Error while
>> downloading the plugin, please try another mirror". Except trying lots
>> of other mirrors and different machines/locations over a number of days
>> consistently produces the same outcome.
>
> I've run into this some lately, but have always succeeded in finding a
> working mirror (the last time less than a week ago). The first thing
> to do is to go to the Global Options Dialog, and click on Plugin
> Manager. (Or from the Plugin Manager itself, click the button for
> Download Options.)  This gives a list of known mirrors, but it's
> probably out of date.  Click on the Update Mirror List button to get a
> newer list, then choose one from the list and try downloading your
> plugins again.

OK. But this is the same advice that appears in a number of posts. I
have done all of this already but no success. If, however, you have had
this problem but have managed to install plugins eventually then I guess
I have to conclude that the plugin manager is just very unreliable. It's
a great idea - but I get the impression that it seems to have been this
way for quite some time... a pity.

P.

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

Update to the Daily Build of jEdit 5.4 and the problems should be fixed. We're releasing a new version of jEdit shortly.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/03/17 13:30, Mike Maxwell wrote:
> On 3/2/2017 8:21 AM, Peter Rockett wrote:
>> New to jEdit but experiencing a persistent problem when trying to
>> install plugins. The plugin manager repeatedly fails with "Error while
>> downloading the plugin, please try another mirror". Except trying lots
>> of other mirrors and different machines/locations over a number of days
>> consistently produces the same outcome.
>
> I've run into this some lately, but have always succeeded in finding a
> working mirror (the last time less than a week ago). The first thing
> to do is to go to the Global Options Dialog, and click on Plugin
> Manager. (Or from the Plugin Manager itself, click the button for
> Download Options.)  This gives a list of known mirrors, but it's
> probably out of date.  Click on the Update Mirror List button to get a
> newer list, then choose one from the list and try downloading your
> plugins again.

OK. But this is the same advice that appears in a number of posts. I
have done all of this already but no success. If, however, you have had
this problem but have managed to install plugins eventually then I guess
I have to conclude that the plugin manager is just very unreliable. It's
a great idea - but I get the impression that it seems to have been this
way for quite some time... a pity.

P.

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

Peter Rockett
:-\

The button is still greyed-out!

In fact, deleting the home/.jedit directory and reinstalling version 5.3, the "Install" button is greyed-out from the start! Is there some other initialisation file/directory I should be deleting to clean up? (On Linux Mint.)

On 02/03/17 14:26, Alan Ezust wrote:
Update to the Daily Build of jEdit 5.4 and the problems should be fixed. We're releasing a new version of jEdit shortly.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/03/17 13:30, Mike Maxwell wrote:
> On 3/2/2017 8:21 AM, Peter Rockett wrote:
>> New to jEdit but experiencing a persistent problem when trying to
>> install plugins. The plugin manager repeatedly fails with "Error while
>> downloading the plugin, please try another mirror". Except trying lots
>> of other mirrors and different machines/locations over a number of days
>> consistently produces the same outcome.
>
> I've run into this some lately, but have always succeeded in finding a
> working mirror (the last time less than a week ago). The first thing
> to do is to go to the Global Options Dialog, and click on Plugin
> Manager. (Or from the Plugin Manager itself, click the button for
> Download Options.)  This gives a list of known mirrors, but it's
> probably out of date.  Click on the Update Mirror List button to get a
> newer list, then choose one from the list and try downloading your
> plugins again.

OK. But this is the same advice that appears in a number of posts. I
have done all of this already but no success. If, however, you have had
this problem but have managed to install plugins eventually then I guess
I have to conclude that the plugin manager is just very unreliable. It's
a great idea - but I get the impression that it seems to have been this
way for quite some time... a pity.

P.

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

F Weller
Could be a file/folder permissions problem?  Was jEdit installed as root?  If so, then I think you could have problems if you tried to update it as a regular user.

-F

On Thu, 3/2/17, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error
 To: "Alan Ezust" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "jedit-users" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, March 2, 2017, 8:46 AM

     :-\

 wrote:

               >> New to jEdit but experiencing a
 persistent
               problem when trying to

               >> install plugins. The plugin manager
 repeatedly
               fails with "Error while

               >> downloading the plugin, please try
 another
               mirror". Except trying lots

               >> of other mirrors and different
 machines/locations
               over a number of days

               >> consistently produces the same
 outcome.

               > I've run into this some lately, but
 have always
               succeeded in finding a

               > working mirror (the last time less than a
 week ago).
               The first thing

               > to do is to go to the Global Options
 Dialog, and
               click on Plugin

               > Manager. (Or from the Plugin Manager
 itself, click
               the button for

               > Download Options.)  This gives a list of
 known
               mirrors, but it's

               > probably out of date.  Click on the
 Update Mirror
               List button to get a

               > newer list, then choose one from the list
 and try
               downloading your

               > plugins again.

             OK. But this is the same advice that
 appears in a
             number of posts. I

             have done all of this already but no success.
 If, however,
             you have had

             this problem but have managed to install plugins
 eventually
             then I guess

             I have to conclude that the plugin manager is
 just very
             unreliable. It's

             a great idea - but I get the impression that it
 seems to
             have been this

             way for quite some time... a pity.

                 P.

                 ------------------------------
 ------------------------------ ------------------

                 Check out the vibrant tech community on one
 of the
                 world's most

                 ------------------------------

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

 Check out the vibrant tech community on one of
 the world's most
 engaging tech sites,
 SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Plugin manager fails with error

Peter Rockett
Nope. Nothing was installed as root. I can manually delete the .jedit
subdirectory under my home directory. But this does not seem to remove
the problem.

P.

On 02/03/17 13:53, Peter Rockett wrote:

> On 02/03/17 13:30, Mike Maxwell wrote:
>> On 3/2/2017 8:21 AM, Peter Rockett wrote:
>>> New to jEdit but experiencing a persistent problem when trying to
>>> install plugins. The plugin manager repeatedly fails with "Error while
>>> downloading the plugin, please try another mirror". Except trying lots
>>> of other mirrors and different machines/locations over a number of days
>>> consistently produces the same outcome.
>>
>> I've run into this some lately, but have always succeeded in finding
>> a working mirror (the last time less than a week ago). The first
>> thing to do is to go to the Global Options Dialog, and click on
>> Plugin Manager. (Or from the Plugin Manager itself, click the button
>> for Download Options.)  This gives a list of known mirrors, but it's
>> probably out of date.  Click on the Update Mirror List button to get
>> a newer list, then choose one from the list and try downloading your
>> plugins again.
>
> OK. But this is the same advice that appears in a number of posts. I
> have done all of this already but no success. If, however, you have
> had this problem but have managed to install plugins eventually then I
> guess I have to conclude that the plugin manager is just very
> unreliable. It's a great idea - but I get the impression that it seems
> to have been this way for quite some time... a pity.
>
> P.

OK. For the record, I have now managed to get the plugin manager to
download. But none of the four European mirrors worked. The first three
North American mirrors also failed; the fourth North American mirror
started and then broke. Finally, the fifth North American mirror worked :-)

So "very unreliable" seems a fair judgement.

P.