[ jEdit-users ] Java 1.7

maxwell
Ouch!  I just updated Java to version 1.7 (jre-7u25), and jEdit won't run; it says it requires "a
Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.  This appears to be true for both 5.0 and 5.1pre1 (I tried both).

I imagine it really wants >= 1.6.0.  Can I suggest that this be fixed like really quick?  Java is
notoriously vulnerable, and while I'm going to try to revert to 1.6 temporarily (I don't actually
see the old version on the Java website, so I'm crossing my fingers), I don't relish running the old
version.
--
        Mike Maxwell
        [hidden email]

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Java 1.7

Ranbato
I run 7u25 so I'm not sure what is throwing that error.

Mark

On Jul 14, 2013, at 1:04 PM, Mike Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ouch!  I just updated Java to version 1.7 (jre-7u25), and jEdit won't run; it says it requires "a
> Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.  This appears to be true for both 5.0 and 5.1pre1 (I tried both).
>
> I imagine it really wants >= 1.6.0.  Can I suggest that this be fixed like really quick?  Java is
> notoriously vulnerable, and while I'm going to try to revert to 1.6 temporarily (I don't actually
> see the old version on the Java website, so I'm crossing my fingers), I don't relish running the old
> version.
> --
>    Mike Maxwell
>    [hidden email]
>    "My definition of an interesting universe is
>    one that has the capacity to study itself."
>         --Stephen Eastmond

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Java 1.7

maxwell
On 7/14/2013 3:10 PM, Alan Ezust wrote:
> What platform?
> I am unable to reproduce this on windows or linux.

Just verified that it's running, with Firefox:
    You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).
(I normally turn off the Java applet there, so it took a moment.)

Let me check the path...  Hmm, interesting in command.com:
C:\Data>"c:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe"
Error: could not open `c:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\amd64\jvm.cfg'

Maybe a path problem, since it's now under jre7 instead of jre6.

I'll do some more testing.  I assumed from the error msg that it wanted *exactly* 1.6.

On 7/14/2013 3:18 PM, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> On 7/14/2013 3:10 PM, Alan Ezust wrote:
>> What platform?
>> I am unable to reproduce this on windows or linux.
>
> Just verified that it's running, with Firefox:
>      You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).
> (I normally turn off the Java applet there, so it took a moment.)
>
> Let me check the path...  Hmm, interesting in command.com:
> C:\Data>"c:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe"

Looks like the 64-bit version of Java won't run (see above), but the 32-bit version works:
c:\Data>"c:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -version
java version "1.7.0_25"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

And sure enough, running jEdit from the command prompt using the 32-bit version works:
c:\Data>"c:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar "c:\Program Files\j
Edit\jedit.jar"

So I think I'll just uninstall the 64-bit version!

Sorry for the noise--looks like this is a Java problem, not a jEdit problem.

(Are there any implications for jEdit from running 32-bit Java instead of 64-bit?  The max memory is
determined by jEdit's command-line parameters, not by the 32/64-bit version, right?)
--
        Mike Maxwell
        [hidden email]
        "My definition of an interesting universe is
        one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Java 1.7

FORREST EVANS
I had the same problem after upgrading to 7u25(64-bit) on Win7.  I noticed that 7u21 was still installed and 7u25 was in a different folder ("C:\Program Files\Java\jre7" as opposed to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.7...").  I uninstalled both and reinstalled 7u25 and it works fine now.

Thanks,
Forrest

On 7/14/2013 3:18 PM, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> On 7/14/2013 3:10 PM, Alan Ezust wrote:
>> What platform?
>> I am unable to reproduce this on windows or linux.
>
> Just verified that it's running, with Firefox:
>      You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).
> (I normally turn off the Java applet there, so it took a moment.)
>
> Let me check the path...  Hmm, interesting in command.com:
> C:\Data>"c:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe"

Looks like the 64-bit version of Java won't run (see above), but the 32-bit version works:
c:\Data>"c:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -version java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode, sharing)