Quantcast

[ jEdit-users ] How to execute external program from jedit and catch output

[ jEdit-users ] How to execute external program from jedit and catch output

Dalibor Petricevic
Hello,

this is a real-world situation: I'm working on a text file of some kind, selected portion of text in active buffer and want to execute external proces (program.exe), pass selected text to it, capture its output and replace selected text in buffer with that output.

How can I do that?

Also, I would like to "save" that [something] (execute, feed selection from buffer to process, catch output, replace selected text) and pin it to toolbar or context menu.

Tnx!

Re: [ jEdit-users ] How to execute external program from jedit and catch output

Dalibor Petricevic
Right, thank you.
But my jEdit can't download that plugin from ANY mirrorr :(
Actualy, installing/updating plugins became such a pain lately, no plugin here, no there, try another mirror ... not cool.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Eric Ladner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jim Byrnes-4
On 02/23/2017 04:10 PM, Dalibor Petricevic wrote:
> Right, thank you.
> But my jEdit can't download that plugin from ANY mirrorr :(
> Actualy, installing/updating plugins became such a pain lately, no plugin
> here, no there, try another mirror ... not cool.

Dalibor,

I had a similar problem back in Jan. I was able to solve it with backup
jars which is not your case, but look at this message in the archives.

https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/mailman/message/35616075/

Vampire suggested using a nightly build until 5.40 was released.

Regards,  Jim

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Eric Ladner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Look at the TextFilter plugin for jEdit.  It looks like it should do
>> exactly what you need as far as the sending to external command and
>> returning to buffer (with options on what to send and where to put it when
>> it gets back).
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:29 PM Dalibor Petricevic <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> this is a real-world situation: I'm working on a text file of some kind,
>>> selected portion of text in active buffer and want to execute external
>>> proces (program.exe), pass selected text to it, capture its output and
>>> replace selected text in buffer with that output.
>>>
>>> How can I do that?
>>>
>>> Also, I would like to "save" that [something] (execute, feed selection
>>> from buffer to process, catch output, replace selected text) and pin it to
>>> toolbar or context menu.
>>>
>>> Tnx!

Re: [ jEdit-users ] How to execute external program from jedit and catch output

Eric Ladner-2

You download them via a browser and drop it in the jars directory manually, also.