[ jEdit-users ] How install two versions of jEdit

[ jEdit-users ] How install two versions of jEdit

George Hovey
Is it possible to have two versions of jEdit, say the current one and 4.5.2, installed on the same (Windows) machine, perhaps by creative renaming, or other means?

They need never run simultaneously, and the choice need only take effect after a restart of Windows.

Some background: I am preparing a custom version of jEdit 4.5.2 for use as a viewer/editor for a program I distribute.  The (engineer) users vary greatly in computer experience, and some may already be using jEdit.  My version must coexist peacefully with theirs.

---------
"Life isn't one damn thing after another -- it's the same damn thing over and over."
  -- Edna St Vincent Millay

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: [ jEdit-users ] How install two versions of jEdit

Eric Berry
Administrator
Yes, it's quite easy if you don't mind running them via java.

Just download the "jar" installers for the various versions of jEdit you want, and execute them via command-line: "java -jar jedit[VERSION]install.jar".

You should get a window that asks where you want to install - choose different locations for each version.

To run them, again execute via command-line: "java -jar jedit.jar" in those new directories.

It's worth noting that if you want to run them simultaneously, you probably want to include the 'noserver' and 'settings' options so they do not share installed plugins.

Example command:
java -jar jedit.jar -noserver -settings=/some/absolute/path/to_a/settings/dir

The 'settings' dir includes all the specific settings and installed plugins for each version - without it and they will share the default location.

I haven't been on Windows for over 10 years now, but should be easy enough to create a batch file or something with the above command to make it easier for you.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM, George Hovey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to have two versions of jEdit, say the current one and 4.5.2, installed on the same (Windows) machine, perhaps by creative renaming, or other means?

They need never run simultaneously, and the choice need only take effect after a restart of Windows.

Some background: I am preparing a custom version of jEdit 4.5.2 for use as a viewer/editor for a program I distribute.  The (engineer) users vary greatly in computer experience, and some may already be using jEdit.  My version must coexist peacefully with theirs.

---------
"Life isn't one damn thing after another -- it's the same damn thing over and over."
  -- Edna St Vincent Millay

Training and support from Colfax.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Work towards the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: [ jEdit-users ] How install two versions of jEdit

Vampire-3
Administrator
Additionally to the points Eric said, you should not use the -noserver switch.
It is almost always wrong to use the -noserver switch.
As we do not have a proper settings directory locking as of today,
if you start two jEdit instances on the same settings directory, you will get very strange effects with various settings files that only one instance can save and some by the other and so on.
I could elaborate on this, but I think this would be too technical here.

Just take care to not use the -noserver switch, the jEdit server is unique per settings directory, so using different settings directories is enough.
The -noserver switch should only be used for debugging or problem-solving purposes, not on a regular basis.

Besides that, you should make sure that a different settings directory is used, because not only running two instances of the same version on one settings directory at the same time is bad, also running two different versions on the same settings directory is bad, even if not concurrently, as there could be structural changes in the settings directory in newer versions, so you shouldn't downgrade the jEdit version that uses a settings directory lightly.

If your custom version includes code changes, you can of course also change the hard-coded settings directory to be named differently instead of using the -settings parameter.

One more thing to keep in mind, jEdit is licensed under the GPL.
Be careful not to violate it.
I'm no lawyer, but it at least involves releasing your source changes to jEdit alongside with it.
If you bundle it with your application to build a new combined unit it might even mean you have to release your application under GPL.

Regards
Björn