[ jEdit-users ] Brit

Chris D
I've been using jEdit all afternoon and I can live with the American
English.  There doesn't seem to be any way to change to British, or any
other language for that matter, so I won't be using jEdit again.

  Best wishes,
  Chris

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Colin Law-4
On 2 September 2012 19:06, Chris D <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been using jEdit all afternoon and I can live with the American
> English.  There doesn't seem to be any way to change to British, or any
> other language for that matter, so I won't be using jEdit again.

Is there a typo in there somewhere?  You say you /can/ live with the
American English but then say you won't be using it again.  Can you
give an example of what you find so objectionable?  I am British and
have not noticed that it is particularly American.

Colin

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Chris D
Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.

"Color" is to me the most irritating, but also "organize", "favorites",
"trash" and so on.  I'm noticing it particularly because other editors
such as gedit give me British English.

Using a text editor means working with language, whether it's a
programmers' editor or not.  Localisation gives me an environment in my
own language but jEdit does not support that, so I will use programs
that do.

  Chris

On 2 September 2012 19:06, Chris D <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been using jEdit all afternoon and I can live with the American
> English.  There doesn't seem to be any way to change to British, or any
> other language for that matter, so I won't be using jEdit again.

Is there a typo in there somewhere?  You say you /can/ live with the
American English but then say you won't be using it again.  Can you
give an example of what you find so objectionable?  I am British and
have not noticed that it is particularly American.

Colin

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Guy Rouillier-2
On 9/2/2012 5:02 PM, Chris D wrote:
> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.
>
> "Color" is to me the most irritating, but also "organize", "favorites",
> "trash" and so on.  I'm noticing it particularly because other editors
> such as gedit give me British English.

Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?

--
Guy Rouillier

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

David Busby

Rubbish or Bin

/djb
Edoceo, Inc
206.282.6500
http://edoceo.com

On Sep 2, 2012 9:45 PM, "Guy Rouillier" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/2/2012 5:02 PM, Chris D wrote:
> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.
>
> "Color" is to me the most irritating, but also "organize", "favorites",
> "trash" and so on.  I'm noticing it particularly because other editors
> such as gedit give me British English.

Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?

--
Guy Rouillier

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Jarekczek
W dniu 2012-09-02 23:02, Chris D pisze:
> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.

Who would expect, that the localisation would be most desired by native
English speakers :)

jEdit is programmed mosty by a Slavic author, Slava Pestov. Funny name
coincidence by the way. I think he was once faced with a choice to use
either British or American English, like all non-native speakers. I
think Americans do more IT improvements and writings than British, so
American English seems to be more natural for a developer's tool. I
think of Microsoft, Silicon Valley as examples of American's dominacy.
Since there is more Americans than Englishmen on IT forums, one rather
tends to use American English. Is it correct?

In a few days jEdit 5.0 will be released, localised for several
languages, BrE not included. If you would like to take part in the work,
Chris, you could prepare the files for British English. It should not be
very difficult as you need to translate only the most irritating parts.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jedit/index.php?title=Localization

Maybe it would be possible to have British localisation in jEdit 5.0,
but you would have to contact project admins, especially Kpouer.

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

David Busby

Chris,
I'll help you with that too.  Rather have Queens than Obama's

/djb
Edoceo, Inc
206.282.6500
http://edoceo.com

On Sep 3, 2012 12:22 AM, "Jarek Czekalski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
W dniu 2012-09-02 23:02, Chris D pisze:
> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.

Who would expect, that the localisation would be most desired by native
English speakers :)

jEdit is programmed mosty by a Slavic author, Slava Pestov. Funny name
coincidence by the way. I think he was once faced with a choice to use
either British or American English, like all non-native speakers. I
think Americans do more IT improvements and writings than British, so
American English seems to be more natural for a developer's tool. I
think of Microsoft, Silicon Valley as examples of American's dominacy.
Since there is more Americans than Englishmen on IT forums, one rather
tends to use American English. Is it correct?

In a few days jEdit 5.0 will be released, localised for several
languages, BrE not included. If you would like to take part in the work,
Chris, you could prepare the files for British English. It should not be
very difficult as you need to translate only the most irritating parts.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jedit/index.php?title=Localization

Maybe it would be possible to have British localisation in jEdit 5.0,
but you would have to contact project admins, especially Kpouer.

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

David Busby

Um, localisation in jEdit the props files only have a two character indicator. How to determine 'en' proper English or 'en' American?  It appears there is no option for en-US and en-GB

/djb
Edoceo, Inc
206.282.6500
http://edoceo.com

On Sep 3, 2012 12:22 AM, "Jarek Czekalski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
W dniu 2012-09-02 23:02, Chris D pisze:
> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.

Who would expect, that the localisation would be most desired by native
English speakers :)

jEdit is programmed mosty by a Slavic author, Slava Pestov. Funny name
coincidence by the way. I think he was once faced with a choice to use
either British or American English, like all non-native speakers. I
think Americans do more IT improvements and writings than British, so
American English seems to be more natural for a developer's tool. I
think of Microsoft, Silicon Valley as examples of American's dominacy.
Since there is more Americans than Englishmen on IT forums, one rather
tends to use American English. Is it correct?

In a few days jEdit 5.0 will be released, localised for several
languages, BrE not included. If you would like to take part in the work,
Chris, you could prepare the files for British English. It should not be
very difficult as you need to translate only the most irritating parts.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jedit/index.php?title=Localization

Maybe it would be possible to have British localisation in jEdit 5.0,
but you would have to contact project admins, especially Kpouer.

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
Right, in fact I didn't expect to have this kind of translation, but if people are interested in doing them, it is possible to change jEdit to include them.
Without any modification we can have a jedit-en_GB.props
And it will be possible to choose it in the options.
The only limitation is that the automatic detection of system language will not choose this version.
And later I can add a few code to allow jEdit to choose this kind of language files, using the language and the country code.
So don't worry, if you create this british version I will be happy to include it and make it work.

Matthieu

2012/9/3 David Busby <[hidden email]>

Um, localisation in jEdit the props files only have a two character indicator. How to determine 'en' proper English or 'en' American?  It appears there is no option for en-US and en-GB

/djb
Edoceo, Inc
206.282.6500
http://edoceo.com

On Sep 3, 2012 12:22 AM, "Jarek Czekalski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
W dniu 2012-09-02 23:02, Chris D pisze:
> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.

Who would expect, that the localisation would be most desired by native
English speakers :)

jEdit is programmed mosty by a Slavic author, Slava Pestov. Funny name
coincidence by the way. I think he was once faced with a choice to use
either British or American English, like all non-native speakers. I
think Americans do more IT improvements and writings than British, so
American English seems to be more natural for a developer's tool. I
think of Microsoft, Silicon Valley as examples of American's dominacy.
Since there is more Americans than Englishmen on IT forums, one rather
tends to use American English. Is it correct?

In a few days jEdit 5.0 will be released, localised for several
languages, BrE not included. If you would like to take part in the work,
Chris, you could prepare the files for British English. It should not be
very difficult as you need to translate only the most irritating parts.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jedit/index.php?title=Localization

Maybe it would be possible to have British localisation in jEdit 5.0,
but you would have to contact project admins, especially Kpouer.

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Pete Prodoehl-2
On 9/2/12 11:09 PM, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> On 9/2/2012 5:02 PM, Chris D wrote:
>> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.
>>
>> "Color" is to me the most irritating, but also "organize", "favorites",
>> "trash" and so on.  I'm noticing it particularly because other editors
>> such as gedit give me British English.
>
> Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?

D U S T B I N

Pete

On 4 September 2012 15:29, Pete Prodoehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/2/12 11:09 PM, Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> On 9/2/2012 5:02 PM, Chris D wrote:
>>> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.
>>>
>>> "Color" is to me the most irritating, but also "organize", "favorites",
>>> "trash" and so on.  I'm noticing it particularly because other editors
>>> such as gedit give me British English.
>>
>> Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?
>

> D U S T B I N

In American does trash mean the stuff that is to be thrown out (in
which case the translation is rubbish) or the place it is to be put
for discarding, in which case dustbin is correct.

Colin

Colin

> Pete

> Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Paul-81
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 September 2012 15:29, Pete Prodoehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?
>>

>> D U S T B I N
>
> In American does trash mean the stuff that is to be thrown out (in
> which case the translation is rubbish) or the place it is to be put
> for discarding, in which case dustbin is correct.
>
> Colin

Collin, trash can be both the items being discarded and a place for
discarding (short for trashcan). It all depends on the context.

"Those boxes are trash and should be be discarded"
"Throw the boxes in the trash."

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Dale Anson
Administrator

Here are the freedesktop.org definitions:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/trash-spec/trashspec-latest.html

Trash, or Trash can — the storage of files that were trashed (“deleted”) by the user. These files can be listed, undeleted, or cleaned from the trash can.

Trashing — a “delete” operation in which files are transferred into the Trash can.

Erasing — an operation in which files (possibly already in the Trash can) are removed (unlinked) from the file system. An erased file is generally considered to be non-recoverable; the space used by this file is freed. [A “shredding” operation, physically overwriting the data, may or may not accompany an erasing operation; the question of shredding is beyond the scope of this document].

Original location — the name and location that a file (currently in the trash) had prior to getting trashed.

Original filename — the name that a file (currently in the trash) had prior to getting trashed.

Top directory , $topdir — the directory where a file system is mounted. “/” is the top directory for the root file system, but not for the other mounted file systems. For example, separate FSes can be mounted on “/home”, “/mnt/flash”, etc. In this text, the designation “$topdir” is used for “any top directory”.

User identifier , $uid — the numeric user identifier for a user. $uid is used here as “the numeric user identifier of the user who is currently logged on”.

Trash directory — a directory where trashed files, as well as the information on their original name/location and time of trashing, are stored. There may be several trash directories on one system; this Specification defines their location and contents. In this text, the designation “$trash” is used for “any trash directory”.

“Home trash” directory — a user's main trash directory. Its name and location is defined in this document.

On 4 September 2012 16:30, Dale Anson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here are the freedesktop.org definitions:
>

> http://standards.freedesktop.org/trash-spec/trashspec-latest.html

It was the normal usage I was interested in, rather than the computer meaning.

Cheers

Colin

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-users ] Brit

Dale Anson
Administrator
Hi Colin,

Yes, I'd gathered that, and Paul's response is a good one. I was looking around for general usage of the term in computer applications and ran across that article.

Dale

On 9/4/2012 10:29 AM, Pete Prodoehl wrote:

> On 9/2/12 11:09 PM, Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> On 9/2/2012 5:02 PM, Chris D wrote:
>>> Oops.  I meant "I CAN'T live with the American English", not can.
>>>
>>> "Color" is to me the most irritating, but also "organize", "favorites",
>>> "trash" and so on.  I'm noticing it particularly because other editors
>>> such as gedit give me British English.
>>
>> Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?
>

> D U S T B I N

Dustbin is hardly an alternative spelling for trash, in the same vein
that color and colour are.  Do you mean that some text editor exists in
which you can type "trash" and it will offer to correct the spelling to
"dustbin"?  That's one smart spell checker!

--
Guy Rouillier

On 5 September 2012 03:07, Guy Rouillier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/4/2012 10:29 AM, Pete Prodoehl wrote:

>>> Well, now I'm curious: what is the British spelling of "trash"?
>>

>> D U S T B I N
>
> Dustbin is hardly an alternative spelling for trash, in the same vein
> that color and colour are.  Do you mean that some text editor exists in
> which you can type "trash" and it will offer to correct the spelling to
> "dustbin"?  That's one smart spell checker!

I don' think the OP was talking about a spell checker, I think he was
talking about the jEdit User Interface (menus and so on).

Colin

Live Security Virtual Conference