Quantcast

[ jEdit-devel ] why so many broken plugin download mirrors?

[ jEdit-devel ] why so many broken plugin download mirrors?

I tried to download latextools plugin and encountered LOTS Of broken mirrors (in north america as well as germany) before heanet was able to serve it to me.

What gives?

Vampire?

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] why so many broken plugin download mirrors?

Eric Berry
Administrator
+1. This has been going on a while now, it makes plugin releases really difficult.

There has to be a better way of doing this that doesn't require human intervention to get it working again.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Alan Ezust <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried to download latextools plugin and encountered LOTS Of broken mirrors (in north america as well as germany) before heanet was able to serve it to me.

What gives?

Vampire?

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Work towards the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] why so many broken plugin download mirrors?

Vampire-3
Administrator
The problem was not the mirror list, or at least not solely.
There were two problems.

1. If you selected a dead mirror, it was used as part of the hostname
and thus the hostname was not resolveable and didn't work.

2. In former times I think every file was present on all mirrors, so
there was no problem. But it seems SF changed this to serve files that
are seldom downloaded only one few mirrors.
I wrote a little shell pipe that investigated the current binary
distributions of the plugins. There are 336 plugins and about 57% of
them are currently only available on one single mirror. 191 to be
exact.
SF responds back with an HTTP redirect to a working mirror, but it
seems the plugin manager didn't handle that properly.

Some minutes ago I committed a change in this strategy that should
solve both problems.

I switched the plugin list to a different URL scheme, where the mirror
is contained as URL parameter instead of as part of the hostname.
This solves the first point.
Also I implemented a proper redirect following in plugin manager that
should work properly.
So now a file should always be downloadable, no matter which mirror is
selected in the settings and the selected mirror is just the preferred
mirror that is tried first, which also fits the label that it always
had.

We should still update the mirror list from time to time, so that
users can get a current list to pick a preferred mirror from, but at
least the downloads should now always work, no matter which mirror is
selected if one is selected at all.

Cheers
Björn