Quantcast

[ jEdit-devel ] merge requests procedure

[ jEdit-devel ] merge requests procedure

Jarekczek
Administrator
1. What unusual is needed except committing a merge request to 4.5.x
branch? Any svn properties must be set?

2. Kazutoshi, Vampire: When you do a core release you put merged
revisions in an svn property. I can't find info about it in
releasing-jedit.txt. Am I missing something or the instruction should be
updated?

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] merge requests procedure

Jarekczek
Administrator
Maybe this is ok regarding question 1.?
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jedit/index.php?title=Conventions,_procedures#Committing_a_merge_request

W dniu 2012-05-10 09:53, Jarek Czekalski pisze:

> 1. What unusual is needed except committing a merge request to 4.5.x
> branch? Any svn properties must be set?
>
> 2. Kazutoshi, Vampire: When you do a core release you put merged
> revisions in an svn property. I can't find info about it in
> releasing-jedit.txt. Am I missing something or the instruction should be
> updated?
>
> Jarek

> Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] merge requests procedure

Kazutoshi Satoda
Jarek Czekalski wrote:
> 1. What unusual is needed except committing a merge request to 4.5.x
> branch? Any svn properties must be set?
>
> 2. Kazutoshi, Vampire: When you do a core release you put merged
> revisions in an svn property. I can't find info about it in
> releasing-jedit.txt. Am I missing something or the instruction should be
> updated?

> Maybe this is ok regarding question 1.?
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jedit/index.php?title=Conventions,_procedures#Committing_a_merge_request

Here are some quick answers:

Please look through doc/release-procedure.txt first. The original
intent and some rules are written in the file.

About svn:mergeinfo, it is set by "svn merge ..." command, and you
shouldn't edit it manually in general.

In WC for a stable branch, the following command (or whatever merge
command of your svn client) will apply the change and set svn:mergeinfo
at the same time appropriately.
$ svn merge -rX:Y ^/jEdit/trunk .

--
k_satoda

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] merge requests procedure

Jarekczek
Administrator
Thanks a lot Kazutoshi. I corrected svn commands. The file
release-procedure.txt was already linked from wiki, but at "Submitting a
merge request", the previous section, so I pulled all I could from it.

I don't know if ^ may be really a part of the svn command. I don't see
it in svn manual. I replaced it with the full path. If ^ is a correct
element of the syntax, please let me know.

Another thing is that merge requests stay untouched for a long time.
It's not good because the users are unable to use daily stable release.
I understand that devs have no time and motivation for taking them on.
So I suggest following changes to the procedure:
1. A submitter of a merge request may boost the priority of the entry to
6, if it has not been merged (or commented) for a month.
2. If 2 weeks have passed since the submitter boosted the priority, he
is entitled to do the merge himself.

This reduces the safety measures that were designed by you, Kazuthoshi.
But safety costs. If we can't afford it, we should lower the safety
requirements. Still people caring about the safety will have 1 1/2 of a
month to deal with MRs.

Jarek

Jarek Czekalski wrote:
> I don't know if ^ may be really a part of the svn command. I don't see
> it in svn manual. I replaced it with the full path. If ^ is a correct
> element of the syntax, please let me know.

Here it is.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.advanced.reposurls
> In Subversion 1.6, a new caret (^) notation was introduced as a
> shorthand for “the URL of the repository's root directory”.

> Another thing is that merge requests stay untouched for a long time.
> It's not good because the users are unable to use daily stable release.
> I understand that devs have no time and motivation for taking them on.
> So I suggest following changes to the procedure:
> 1. A submitter of a merge request may boost the priority of the entry to
> 6, if it has not been merged (or commented) for a month.
> 2. If 2 weeks have passed since the submitter boosted the priority, he
> is entitled to do the merge himself.

It looks good. I understood the rule as allowing to substitute the
reasoning of safety with a soaking period in trunk, instead of reviews
by another developer.

I think it meant that both 1 and 2 will be valid only if no negative
comment nor concern of problem was given for the request. Please make
the final wording to cover this condition.

--
k_satoda

Live Security Virtual Conference