Quantcast

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:plugin-feature-requests] #379 Buffer Tabs: Don't change order of tab rows when clicking on tab

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:plugin-feature-requests] #379 Buffer Tabs: Don't change order of tab rows when clicking on tab

Ronald

[plugin-feature-requests:#379] Buffer Tabs: Don't change order of tab rows when clicking on tab

Group:
Created: Fri Jan 20, 2017 08:44 AM UTC by Ronald
Last Updated: Fri Jan 20, 2017 08:44 AM UTC
Owner: nobody

When I set the Buffer Tabs plugin to "multirow", and have several rows of tabs, and click on one tab, the rows are rearranged so that the tab which now has the focus, is in the bottom row.

It should be possible to turn this rearrangement of rows off.

Reason: If I switch forth and back between different tabs, this rearranging of the tab rows gets really confusing.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/plugin-feature-requests/

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:plugin-feature-requests] #379 Buffer Tabs: Don't change order of tab rows when clicking on tab

jf.larvoire
I agree that this is confusing, and not just in jEdit:
All Windows applications that have dialog boxes with multiple rows of tabs do the same, with the same confusing results.
I've thought about this before, but never found a satisfactory solution:
If you don't reorder the rows, then how do you connect the page with its corresponding tab? (Which IS necessary to know where you are.)
 - If you simply make the tab higher, going over the ones in the row(s) below, then...
    1) You will not see those tabs anymore. (Possible workaround: Use some kind of transparency to see them anyway)
    2) More serious issue: You will not be able to click on those tabs anymore.
 - Maybe we could attach the tab to its page using a narrow "stick", to hide as little as possible on the rows below.
   This would avoid the clickability issue. But would this be easily understandable?

Jean-François

[...]

Last Updated: Fri Jan 20, 2017 09:32 AM UTC
Owner: nobody

When I set the Buffer Tabs plugin to "multirow", and have several rows of tabs, and click on one tab, the rows are rearranged so that the tab which now has the focus, is in the bottom row.

It should be possible to turn this rearrangement of rows off.

Reason: If I switch forth and back between different tabs, this rearranging of the tab rows gets really confusing.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/plugin-feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:plugin-feature-requests] #379 Buffer Tabs: Don't change order of tab rows when clicking on tab

Ronald

From the user's viewpoint, I see (in a single-row tab) the active tab by the way it is coloured. Usually the background changes, but some applications just change the font to bold, or use a different colour,

In any case, the same approach could be used for multi-row tabs. One of them is coloured/marked distinctly, and this is the one which "belongs" to the edit pane.