[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #534 Flag for an open Temporary File

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #534 Flag for an open Temporary File

robert orton

[feature-requests:#534] Flag for an open Temporary File

Group: none
Created: Wed Mar 15, 2017 04:11 PM UTC by robert orton
Last Updated: Wed Mar 15, 2017 04:11 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

Not sure if this is a feature already, but need something to blatently tell user they have opened a temporary file.

scenario: I was deep searching a directory for a pattern and inadvertently clicked on and opened a temporary file that has the "~" character at the end. I edited the file for days and noticed the file date never changed in my ftp program. couldnt figure out why date never changed.

I filter temp files in FTP, so the current file was never shown. So I had been editing "filename.ext~" which was filtered at my FTP, as well as its temporary file, "filename.ext~~". It took me some deciphering to find out what was happening, because the path names are so long, the ext~~ was usually clipped off in most contexts.

So a solution that would make sense at least to me is to show the filname differently in drop down, and maybe a different color in title of window.

Thanks.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #534 Flag for an open Temporary File

jedit-devel mailing list

Buffer itself has an isTemporary() flag which can be used to determine if the buffer is temporary. It's just not exposed in the GUI.

the default behavior of JEdit (latest daily build) no longer uses the buffer's directory as the backup or autosave directory, instead placing them under your jedit settings directory.
This should help you avoid encountering backups or autosaves by accident in the future.