[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #529 Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #529 Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Joern Huxhorn

[feature-requests:#529] Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Group: none
Created: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC by Joern Huxhorn
Last Updated: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC
Owner: nobody

jEdit 5.3.0 does not allow automatic graphics switching on Mac. This means that it enforces the activation of the high-performance GPU which is draining the battery.

I just received a similar ticket over at https://github.com/huxi/lilith/issues/27 including a detailed description of how to fix it. While verifying the fix, I realized that jEdit suffers from the same problem.

This is easily fixed by adding

<key>NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<true/>

to Info.plist.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #529 Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Alan Ezust-2
  • assigned_to: Björn Kautler

[feature-requests:#529] Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Group: none
Created: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC by Joern Huxhorn
Last Updated: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC
Owner: Björn Kautler

jEdit 5.3.0 does not allow automatic graphics switching on Mac. This means that it enforces the activation of the high-performance GPU which is draining the battery.

I just received a similar ticket over at https://github.com/huxi/lilith/issues/27 including a detailed description of how to fix it. While verifying the fix, I realized that jEdit suffers from the same problem.

This is easily fixed by adding

<key>NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<true/>

to Info.plist.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #529 Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

"Björn Kautler"

Ah, hi Jörn, the next project where we meet. :-)
Do you know whether this setting can also have a negative effect?
Did you try it locally with jEdit already?

[feature-requests:#529] Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Group: none
Created: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC by Joern Huxhorn
Last Updated: Thu Feb 16, 2017 03:58 PM UTC
Owner: Björn Kautler

jEdit 5.3.0 does not allow automatic graphics switching on Mac. This means that it enforces the activation of the high-performance GPU which is draining the battery.

I just received a similar ticket over at https://github.com/huxi/lilith/issues/27 including a detailed description of how to fix it. While verifying the fix, I realized that jEdit suffers from the same problem.

This is easily fixed by adding

<key>NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<true/>

to Info.plist.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #529 Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Joern Huxhorn

Hey there. :)

Yes, I patched jEdit immediately.

I can't give you any objective measurements but I can tell you that I feel no subjective difference whether the "integrated" or the "high-performance" gfx is used on the Mid-2012 MBP I'm currently using.

No app I'm running right now demands "high-performance" (i.e. patched jEdit, Chrome, Firefox, Thunderbird, IDEA, Lilith, TV-Browser etc.) and the only difference is that the MBP is using less energy. Even VLC playing full-screen video isn't switching to high-performance.

That other mode is primarily for games or pro software and macOS is supposed to switch to high-performance automatically as needed. Attaching an external monitor is also switching to "high-performance" mode but that usually isn't a problem because one is likely not running on battery in that scenario.

This is the ticket for IDEA: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-118524
This is related Apple documentation: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1734/_index.html

[feature-requests:#529] Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Group: none
Created: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC by Joern Huxhorn
Last Updated: Fri Feb 17, 2017 05:41 PM UTC
Owner: Björn Kautler

jEdit 5.3.0 does not allow automatic graphics switching on Mac. This means that it enforces the activation of the high-performance GPU which is draining the battery.

I just received a similar ticket over at https://github.com/huxi/lilith/issues/27 including a detailed description of how to fix it. While verifying the fix, I realized that jEdit suffers from the same problem.

This is easily fixed by adding

<key>NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<true/>

to Info.plist.

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #529 Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

"Björn Kautler"
  • status: open --> closed-fixed
  • Group: none --> v5.4
  • Comment:

Thanks for the thorough analysis and testing Jörn.
This is fixed for the upcoming 5.4.0.

[feature-requests:#529] Activate automatic graphics switching on Mac.

Group: v5.4
Created: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 AM UTC by Joern Huxhorn
Last Updated: Fri Feb 17, 2017 07:44 PM UTC
Owner: Björn Kautler

http://sdm.link/oxford