[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #506 Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #506 Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

thedatamatrix

[feature-requests:#506] Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

Group: none
Created: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 PM UTC by
Last Updated: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

I use jEdit in Linux to edit files on a remote filesystem mounted with google-drive-ocamlfuse. Saving can take upward of 10 seconds. I also use autosave every 30 seconds. This is a huge pain, as this means when I am actively editing files, I have long delays. The reason is that the autosave file '#file#' is stored in the same directory as 'file'. What's even worse, is that as a result, my autosaves are stored with version history on my google drive.
I would like for there to be an option to select a directory in which to put all autosaves, similar to what is available for backups. It seems simple enough to implement. And others have hinted over the years that this would be desirable:
See:
https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/501/#4b0a
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/3597 (note here that the suggestion in the reply at this link does not actually work for autosave, but only for backups).

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #506 Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

thedatamatrix

Here is a workaround that saves file to '/tmp' (hard-coded) and the autosave filename for e.g. '/path/to/file' becomes '/tmp/path_to#file#'. Slashes in the file path are converted to underscores to avoid collisions with same-named files from different directories.

Attachments:

[feature-requests:#506] Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

Group: none
Created: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 PM UTC by
Last Updated: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:05 PM UTC
[...]

  • assigned_to: Alan Ezust

[feature-requests:#506] Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

Group: none
Created: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 PM UTC by
Last Updated: Tue May 30, 2017 05:34 PM UTC
Owner: Alan Ezust

[...]

  • status: open --> closed-accepted
  • Comment:

$ svn commit
Sending doc/CHANGES.txt
Sending doc/users-guide/files.xml
Sending org/gjt/sp/jedit/Buffer.java
Sending org/gjt/sp/jedit/options/SaveBackupOptionPane.java
Sending org/jedit/localization/jedit_en.props
Transmitting file data .....done
Committing transaction...
Committed revision 24678.

[feature-requests:#506] Option for global autosave directory for existing files (not backup)

Group: none
Created: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 PM UTC by
Last Updated: Tue May 30, 2017 05:35 PM UTC
Owner: Alan Ezust