[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #486 Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #486 Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Alexander Bruns-2

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

Hi,

I asked for this on the jedit-users mailinglist and was asked to open a ticket here. Took a little bit since Oktober 2012, but now, I try to do it.

We are looking for a replacement for nedit (www.nedit.org) in our company. Jedit was in the scope in 2012 and is still, because its the best we found.

The thing is, that we often use the special unique rectangular editing feature in nedit and I would like to ask, if this could be implemented in jedit.

To see it, you have to try it with nedit, which is in most distributions still available, althourgh it is no longer maintained.

These features I would like to request:

What do I mean with "rectangular block editing"?

Like in nedit, in jedit it is possible to press "Ctrl" and mark
a rectangular part of the text with LM (Left Mouse button pressed)

So C+LM = Ctrl (Strg on german Keyboard) and Left Mouse button for marking.

Within nedit, it exists very powerfull features with this marked block.

After with C+LM a block of the text is marked, you can

  • move the block with just MM (Middle Mouse) without keyboard
    and move away text which was at the target position of the movement
    press MM and move the text and release it to stop moving.

  • move the block with C+MM and replace the text which was at
    the position where you move th block to. The block at the
    origin gets replaced by white spaces.

  • copy the block with CS+MM (Ctrl+Shift+MiddleMouse) and replace the
    text which was at the position where you move the block to. The
    block at the origin stays the same, so really copy no deletion.

This is really powerfull and because we often edit large text-files,
where the data is aranged in column order, it is often used by us.

Isn't this worth to make jedit to be the one unique sucessor which
is enabled of this feature?

Greetings

Alexander Bruns

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

http://p.sf.net/sfu/hpccsystems

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] Re: #486 Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Alexander Bruns-2

Hi,

I am interested in the Status tu this request of me.

On the webpage I see, that it was planned for 5.2. Now 5.3 is available
and it is not included.

Is there any efford done on this?

Is there any clearance missing about the feature?

Alexander

Am 12.06.2014 um 20:00 schrieb Alexander Bruns:

[feature-requests:#486]
http://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/486/ Featu8re Request

*

[...]

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/486/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

Sent from sourceforge.net because [hidden email] is subscribed to http://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/

[ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:feature-requests] #486 Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Alexander Bruns-2

Hi, there is still no progress and still no answer. Whats the right way to ask for feature to be added?

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Thu May 26, 2016 10:31 PM UTC
[...]

Dale Anson-2

You've done the right thing. Now it's a matter of someone taking the time to implement this feature. This is not a simple request, it'll take quite a bit of work, so no one has started on it yet.

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 PM UTC
[...]

Oh, and nice video, that's a great way to describe your request.

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 PM UTC
[...]

Again I try to ask for someone to implement this nice feature. Is there anybody there who would like to guide me doing it myself? In meantime I learned in two courses objectorientated programming in java, but have nearly no knowledge how to start. So no experience, no way to get into it. But the willingness to do it. What do the development-community think?

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Thu Jan 05, 2017 08:11 PM UTC
[...]

jedit-devel mailing list

If you join jedit-devel and ask your questions there, someone will answer them (I hope). I will certainly answer any of the ones that I can.
If you are just getting started, check out http://www.jedit.org/?page=devel
When you have made something that is ready for review, post a ticket on the patches tracker.
I will review patches personally and share my comments with you, and apply them if they're good.

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Thu Jan 05, 2017 08:14 PM UTC
[...]

Unfortunately, the only people who have worked on the rectangular selection code no longer are involved in the project so someone new must get familiar with it.

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Fri Jul 14, 2017 08:02 PM UTC
[...]

I keep thinking I'll get to this since it sounds interesting, but I haven't had the time.

[feature-requests:#486] Featu8re Request for nedit-like rectangular editing feature.

Group: v5.2
Created: Thu Jun 12, 2014 06:00 PM UTC by Alexander Bruns
Last Updated: Fri Jul 14, 2017 08:04 PM UTC