[ jEdit-devel ] Windows installer and java version

[ jEdit-devel ] Windows installer and java version

Edward Diener-2
For the JEdit Windows installer (jedit'n.n.n'install.exe) what
determines the version of Java which it uses ?

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Windows installer and java version

Edward Diener-2
On 12/27/2016 10:23 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
> For the JEdit Windows installer (jedit'n.n.n'install.exe) what
> determines the version of Java which it uses ?

This should be:

"For the JEdit Windows installer (jedit'n.n.n'install.exe) what
determines the version of Java which jEdit subsequently uses ?"

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Windows installer and java version

Vampire-3
Administrator
The installer does not decide it.
If you use the jedit.exe wrapper to start jEdit, this is the one that
dynamically decides which Java to use.
If you want to gain some insight, you can start it with the parameter
`--l4j-debug` which will write a launch4j.log file besides the
jedit.exe file.
You have to have write permission in this folder of course, so if you
installed to `C:\Program Files`, start a cmd.exe with administrative
rights so that the log file can be written.
In the file you will see information about the Java locating process.

Regards
Björn

On 1/20/2017 10:17 AM, Vampire wrote:

> The installer does not decide it.
> If you use the jedit.exe wrapper to start jEdit, this is the one that
> dynamically decides which Java to use.
> If you want to gain some insight, you can start it with the parameter
> `--l4j-debug` which will write a launch4j.log file besides the
> jedit.exe file.
> You have to have write permission in this folder of course, so if you
> installed to `C:\Program Files`, start a cmd.exe with administrative
> rights so that the log file can be written.
> In the file you will see information about the Java locating process.

Thanks for the information. But...
1) What is the logic by which the jedit.exe wrapper "dynamically decides
which Java to use" ?
2) Should not the end-user be able to tell jedit.exe which java to use ?

The only reason this is an issue, in my mind, is because on Windows new
versions of Java which are installed want to delete old versions of
Java. Furthermore I might want to install a new version of the JDK
myself and then have jedit use that. So the situation by which jedit.exe
just decides for itself which version of Java to use, without the
end-user being able to affect that in any way, seems like a large design
flaw to me.

> Regards
> Björn

>> On 12/27/2016 10:23 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>> For the JEdit Windows installer (jedit'n.n.n'install.exe) what
>>> determines the version of Java which it uses ?
>>
>> This should be:
>>
>> "For the JEdit Windows installer (jedit'n.n.n'install.exe) what
>> determines the version of Java which jEdit subsequently uses ?"

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Windows installer and java version

Vampire-3
Administrator
We use Launch4j (http://launch4j.sourceforge.net) to generate the exe wrapper.
One of the functionalities of it is, that it searches for a suitable
Java to use if none is embedded.
This is not a design flaw, but a convenience feature, as most users
just want jEdit to run and don't care with which Java it is run.
If you want to know the exact heuristic, I guess you have to look at
the sources of launch4j.

Furthermore, you can at any time just create a batch file that does
`java -jar jedit.jar -reuseview %*` with any Java version or
additional arguments you want.

Regards
Björn