Quantcast

[ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Eric Berry
Administrator
Hey folks,
    Sorry for the delay on all the recent plugin releases. I've been extraordinarily busy as of late and have not been able to take any time to work on these. This is probably going to be the case for the next few days, and I'll continue to be really busy for the next few weeks.

That being said, I should be able to do the releases sometime this week - this weekend at the latest, but if anyone else would like to help out and do some releases, it would be greatly appreciated by myself, and I'm sure the community.

Cheers,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Jarekczek
Administrator
Hi Eric

When I didn't know how to release a plugin I asked Alan to do it once and by the way prepare the instructions in the wiki, so that I could do it myself next time. Is it a way to go for this part of releasing plugins?

Jarek

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Try before you buy = See our experts in action! The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now! http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Eric Berry
Administrator
The scripts are in SVN yes, and they should be pretty well self-documented.

The scripts I created are all all Ant based with the exception of the SCP and Wizard integration.

You can download them from SVN:
https://jedit.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jedit/pjo/trunk

It should be pretty much self contained - there's a build.properties.sample file that should contain all the required settings, you just have to change them to match your own environment.

After downloading, you should be able to just run "ant" in the ant directory to get instructions, but what I usually end up doing is:

1. ant download reset -Dplugin.name=[PluginName] -Dplugin.version=[newVersion]
   1a. The default download uses SVN, and this will prompt you for the Tag name.
   1b. You can use the specific download tasks to get the plugin source from other VCSs (eg. download-git) to get from the jEdit Git Repo.

2. ant view -Dplugin.name=[PluginName] -Dplugin.version=[newVersion]

3. Download any dependency plugins using Plugin Manager

4. Quit the jEdit that was opened

5. ant build view -Dplugin.name=[PluginName] -Dplugin.version=[newVersion]
   5a. The default will use whatever Java version you have on the file system as the Compiler Source, but will set Compiler Target to 1.5.
         You can use the 'java6' target to set the Compiler Target to 1.6. Eg. ant java6 build view ....

6. Test plugin to make sure there are no errors, has proper documentation, and Options works.
   6a. If the plugin has Optional dependencies, I'll uninstall them in PluginManager after the initial (Happy Path) test, then test again.

7. If all goes well, I run: ant package -Dplugin.name=[PluginName] -Dplugin.version=[newVersion]

8. SFTP package files up to SF.net

9. Update Wizard with new release

10. ant reset view -Dplugin.name=[PluginName] -Dplugin.version=[newVersion]
   10a. Install new plugin version from PluginManager and test happy path again.

11. If all goes well, I update tracker item to released.

This usually only takes 10-20 minutes per plugin, but as I said, I'm having troubles finding even that amount of time lately.

Today's looking pretty good though so hopefully I can actually get to these tonight.

If you do get a chance to try it out, please let me know of any questions you have. I'll try to answer them in a timely fashion.

Thanks,
Eric.

PS. I've already started on the PHPParser plugin, the files have been uploaded to SF.net, I just need to update the Wizard.

W dniu 02/06/2012 10:53 PM, Eric Berry pisze:
This usually only takes 10-20 minutes per plugin, but as I said, I'm having troubles finding even that amount of time lately.
One may think that it just happens. Good you told us how much it really takes. Thanks for your hard and unpleasant work. In my opinion this should be divided more evenly among the team. Maybe plugin maintainers should do that on their own, although it's better if 2 different people do the check. So some exchanging could work like: you do A for me and I do B for you.

These instructions must go to the wiki and there they will be gradually improved by everyone.

I'll try it with Whitespace in no more than 2 weeks.

Jarek

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

In general, you should be packaging and releasing other people's submissions, not your own.
In much the same way that we only close other people's merge requests, this guarantees
a second eyeball on each person's work.

I suggest you unassign yourself whitespace and assign yourself another plugin submission.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
W dniu 02/06/2012 10:53 PM, Eric Berry pisze:
This usually only takes 10-20 minutes per plugin, but as I said, I'm having troubles finding even that amount of time lately.
One may think that it just happens. Good you told us how much it really takes. Thanks for your hard and unpleasant work. In my opinion this should be divided more evenly among the team. Maybe plugin maintainers should do that on their own, although it's better if 2 different people do the check. So some exchanging could work like: you do A for me and I do B for you.

These instructions must go to the wiki and there they will be gradually improved by everyone.

I'll try it with Whitespace in no more than 2 weeks.

Jarek

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Dale Anson
Administrator
Eric, it's been quite a while since I did any plugin releases. Have
things changed much? Do you have some instructions somewhere?

Thanks,

Dale

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Alan Ezust <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In general, you should be packaging and releasing other people's
> submissions, not your own.
> In much the same way that we only close other people's merge requests, this
> guarantees
> a second eyeball on each person's work.
>
> I suggest you unassign yourself whitespace and assign yourself another
> plugin submission.
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> W dniu 02/06/2012 10:53 PM, Eric Berry pisze:
>>
>> This usually only takes 10-20 minutes per plugin, but as I said, I'm
>> having troubles finding even that amount of time lately.
>>
>> One may think that it just happens. Good you told us how much it really
>> takes. Thanks for your hard and unpleasant work. In my opinion this should
>> be divided more evenly among the team. Maybe plugin maintainers should do
>> that on their own, although it's better if 2 different people do the check.
>> So some exchanging could work like: you do A for me and I do B for you.
>>
>> These instructions must go to the wiki and there they will be gradually
>> improved by everyone.
>>
>> I'll try it with Whitespace in no more than 2 weeks.
>>
>> Jarek

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

It looks like pjo.py is no longer used ,but instead everything is automated via ant.
which is probably better for everyone considering not everyone knows python but everyone knows ant!
Thanks for converting the pjo.py scripts over to Ant, Eric Berry!

Now someone just needs to update the pjo.txt file with correct instructions.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dale Anson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eric, it's been quite a while since I did any plugin releases. Have
things changed much? Do you have some instructions somewhere?

Thanks,

Dale

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Alan Ezust <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In general, you should be packaging and releasing other people's
> submissions, not your own.
> In much the same way that we only close other people's merge requests, this
> guarantees
> a second eyeball on each person's work.
>
> I suggest you unassign yourself whitespace and assign yourself another
> plugin submission.
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> W dniu 02/06/2012 10:53 PM, Eric Berry pisze:
>>
>> This usually only takes 10-20 minutes per plugin, but as I said, I'm
>> having troubles finding even that amount of time lately.
>>
>> One may think that it just happens. Good you told us how much it really
>> takes. Thanks for your hard and unpleasant work. In my opinion this should
>> be divided more evenly among the team. Maybe plugin maintainers should do
>> that on their own, although it's better if 2 different people do the check.
>> So some exchanging could work like: you do A for me and I do B for you.
>>
>> These instructions must go to the wiki and there they will be gradually
>> improved by everyone.
>>
>> I'll try it with Whitespace in no more than 2 weeks.
>>
>> Jarek

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Jarekczek
Just adding to the thread something that probably was missing in the
instructions from Eric:

point x. send an announcement about new plugin release

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Eric Berry
Administrator
I'm a little hesitant to update the pjo.txt since the pjo stuff is still there. I will create an instructions.txt file in the ant directory though, so that instructions are kept together with the different apps.

Again, the Ant scripts are pretty well self-documented the default 'usage' task should provide instructions on how to use them. There's also a 'setup' task which will prompt you for all the important details and then save them into a build.properties file for you to use going forward.

Jarek, I don't do release announcements after each plugin release. We used to send out an aggregation each month, which I've been trying to do around the beginning of each month. Unfortunately I missed January, so I just included it in Feb's.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just adding to the thread something that probably was missing in the
instructions from Eric:

point x. send an announcement about new plugin release

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Jarekczek
elberry wrote
3. Download any dependency plugins using Plugin Manager
I have a question here: Plugin Manager fetches the most recent version, that is compatible with the given jedit version. What do you do if the the version reported by Plugin Manager is greater than the version specified in dependencies?

Jarek

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Usually, I bump the dependent version so it matches the one that is delivered by plugin manager.
Because that is the version you should build against and test against before release.

elberry wrote

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Jarekczek
Administrator
I don't like this idea very much. But if you want such a rule, please
include it in plugin release part I procedure.

In a following scenario it causes unnecessary problems:
1. Plugin A works with jedit 4.4 in version 1.4 and depends on plugin B
in version 1.4. This works fine in jedit 4.4.
2. Jedit 4.5 is released and plugin B has 1.5 release dependant on jedit 4.5
3. Plugin A 1.4.1 is released. It mustn't specify B 1.4 as a dependency,
because (from a new rule) it must specify the current B version. So
plugin 1.4.1 will not work on jedit 4.4, while it really could. So the
indirect requirement is in fact unnecessary here.

What do you (all) think about it?

Of course there is still a word "usually" you put for safety, Alan :)
But the procedures we create should work in all scenarios, even unusual.

Jarek

W dniu 2012-02-12 16:15, Alan Ezust pisze:

> Usually, I bump the dependent version so it matches the one that is
> delivered by plugin manager.
> Because that is the version you should build against and test against
> before release.
>

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Jarekczek<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> elberry wrote
>>> 3. Download any dependency plugins using Plugin Manager
>>>
>> I have a question here: Plugin Manager fetches the most recent version,
>> that
>> is compatible with the given jedit version. What do you do if the the
>> version reported by Plugin Manager is greater than the version specified in
>> dependencies?
>>
>> Jarek
>>
>> --

>> Virtualization&  Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
>> Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
>> also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
>> --

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Eric Berry
I usually don't bother with it, but I do make a note of it in the tracker item. Eg. "Tested with jEdit 4.cool, using CommonControls 4.4.higher ..."

If it works with the higher versions, I let it be. If it doesn't then I hold the release until it's fixed.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Alan Ezust <[hidden email]> wrote:
Usually, I bump the dependent version so it matches the one that is delivered by plugin manager.
Because that is the version you should build against and test against before release.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Jarekczek <[hidden email]> wrote:

elberry wrote

> 3. Download any dependency plugins using Plugin Manager

I have a question here: Plugin Manager fetches the most recent version, that
is compatible with the given jedit version. What do you do if the the
version reported by Plugin Manager is greater than the version specified in
dependencies?

Jarek

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

Jarekczek
Administrator
Alan, Eric

You both suggested a comfortable "solution". Let's assume the plugins
may be downloaded automatically in whatever version we want: required or
current. With which versions should be a plugin compiled and tested then?

Jarek

W dniu 2012-02-12 19:56, Eric Berry pisze:

> I usually don't bother with it, but I do make a note of it in the tracker
> item. Eg. "Tested with jEdit 4.cool, using CommonControls 4.4.higher ..."
>
> If it works with the higher versions, I let it be. If it doesn't then I
> hold the release until it's fixed.
>
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Alan Ezust<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Usually, I bump the dependent version so it matches the one that is
>> delivered by plugin manager.
>> Because that is the version you should build against and test against
>> before release.
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Jarekczek<[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> elberry wrote
>>>>
>>> I have a question here: Plugin Manager fetches the most recent version,
>>> that
>>> is compatible with the given jedit version. What do you do if the the
>>> version reported by Plugin Manager is greater than the version specified
>>> in
>>> dependencies?
>>>
>>> Jarek
>>>
>>> --

>>> Virtualization&  Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
>>> Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
>>> also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
>>> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/
>>> --

>> Virtualization&  Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
>> Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
>> also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
>> --

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases

The idea is that we can simulataneously support as many versions as we want in plugin manager via the use of branches.
When I was maintaining plugin manager, I tried to keep 2 versions of jEdit supported at all times - the current stable  (which I call "main" as wel as one other point-release plus or minus. (devel or old)

So you can expose 2 versions of a plugin in plugin manager, one marked "main" and the other "old" so that you can support 4.5 and 4.4 based plugins.

So when you are releasing a new plugin and the previous version of it depended on an older version of jedit, leave it exposed via the "old" branch and put the new version in the "main" or "devel" branch.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Plugin Releases - which version of dependent plugin to use

Jarekczek
Administrator
Alan, that doesn't help in the scenario I posted there:
http://jedit.9.n6.nabble.com/jEdit-devel-Plugin-Releases-tp4370573p4462710.html

For me it's natural to use the version that was specified by the plugin submitter. Why don't you consider this simplest approach?

I expect it to prevent any problems and give the widest possibility for plugin users. The widest freedom, that is they may choose whatever version they like. And when we were talking with Matthieu about ivy for plugins, he said that the plugin should be compiled with the exact versions specified in props/ivy.xml. Now I don't understand why you don't agree with him.
http://jedit.9.n6.nabble.com/plugin-ivy-question-tp1770392p1770403.html

Jarek

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alan, that doesn't help in the scenario I posted there:
http://jedit.9.n6.nabble.com/jEdit-devel-Plugin-Releases-tp4370573p4462710.html

For me it's natural to use the version that was specified by the plugin submitter. Why don't you consider this simplest approach?

because in the past, the submitters didn't actually test it against the version that is listed in .props, and forgot to bump up the depend requirements (esp. in the case of plugins that have been around a long time).

If the depend versions that are listed are older than what is delivered by plugin manager for that version of jEdit, and ivy can grab them for you, then it's easy for you to test/release the plugin against that particular combo of versions. ok, then fine. Test against those versions. That's ok with me!

I expect it to prevent any problems and give the widest possibility for plugin users. The widest freedom, that is they may choose whatever version they like. And when we were talking with Matthieu about ivy for plugins, he said that the plugin should be compiled with the exact versions specified in props/ivy.xml. Now I don't understand why you don't agree with him.
http://jedit.9.n6.nabble.com/plugin-ivy-question-tp1770392p1770403.html

If the ivy.xml lists different depend versions from the dependencies listed in the .props, file that is an error.
It is unfortunate that one of these can't be automatically updated based on the other, but c'est la vie.

[...]

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
2012/2/16 Alan Ezust <[hidden email]>

I expect it to prevent any problems and give the widest possibility for plugin users. The widest freedom, that is they may choose whatever version they like. And when we were talking with Matthieu about ivy for plugins, he said that the plugin should be compiled with the exact versions specified in props/ivy.xml. Now I don't understand why you don't agree with him.
http://jedit.9.n6.nabble.com/plugin-ivy-question-tp1770392p1770403.html

If the ivy.xml lists different depend versions from the dependencies listed in the .props, file that is an error.
It is unfortunate that one of these can't be automatically updated based on the other, but c'est la vie.

 It is not so simple.
the props file do not contains the artifact-Id of the library so there is not enough information to build the ivy.xml from it.
And it is possible to have some dependencies in ivy.xml that are not dependencies of the plugin (compilation dependencies).
For example SmartOpen needs Lucene library to compile but it is not a dependency of the plugin because the plugin depends on LucenePlugin.

Or you can have junit dependency for tests but you don't want to include that in the props file.

Matthieu

http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/