[ jEdit-devel ] Eclipse/jEdit interface

12

[ jEdit-devel ] Eclipse/jEdit interface

Steve Pritchard
Hi jEdit Deleopers

I recently switched from UltraEdit (6 months) and MultiEdit (20 years) to jEdit.

The impetus was to have context editing for Java classes similar to the Eclipse IDE where the methods and parameters pop up. jEdit provides a good foundation for what I want but that is for another day.

Task 1 was to provide single key cut/copy/paste.  MultiEdit, as a hold over from Brief, used the NumPad-DASH, NumPad-PLUS and INSERT key to do this.  With a little trickery I was able to get jEdit to do this.

I realized that the great architecture of jEdit would allow me to build an interface for compiles between Eclipse and jEdit.  The rationale is that for jEdit to compete with Eclipse on incremental builds is a longshot.  However, Eclipse does provide a mechanism to listen for compile errors and warnings. I built an Eclipse plugin that listens for these errors and format a UDP message to ship them out.

I then built a jEdit plugin that listens for the UDP messages and creates and populates the ErrorList window.

Since I also save on taskswitch, to edit/compile/correct I do:
  1. do edits
  2. taskswitch (Alt-tab)to Eclipse.
  3. Press F5 to do incremental build
  4. click on error list to make corrections.

I would like to share this with the jEdit community but do not know how.  I do have a GitHub account.

Steve

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Eclipse/jEdit interface

Michael H
In about March 2016, I updated from jedit 4.x to jEdit 5.2.0 to see a new way to manage modes.

Soon after that (maybe congruent, but I didn't note it immediately,) macros (really just a long list of search/replace) that took 1-3 minutes to process 5 megabytes of data started taking 10-12 hours to complete. While I was willing to deal with the minutes of processing to allow for fluidity of code, I can't deal with days.

I've made changes to the macros in question that did add to the processing, but nothing that I can see should have introduced this massive increase in time to completion.  I've also performed similar searches on the same text in other editors and they return results in seconds. (Jedit was always slower than text wrangler, but not this crawl it is now.)

Anyone have any advice what happened this year to the response time for search/replace?

I know there were also changes in Java (Upgraded OSX from 10.9 - 10.10 at about the same time).

Is there a known within Jedit that slowed down search/replace processing?  If I downgrade to 4.2 will it improve?  If I keep 5.2 and force an older JRE?....

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Steve Pritchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dale Anson-3
Hi Steve,

Take a look at this page: http://plugins.jedit.org/releasing.php

It talks about what is necessary to release a plugin. It is not a requirement that plugin code reside in jEdit's source control, hosting a project elsewhere is fine as long as it is straightforward for the plugin release person to get the code and build the plugin.

Dale

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Steve Pritchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Michael,

In the future, please start a new thread rather than replying to an unrelated message. It makes it hard to follow who is asking what.

For your issue, can you share the macros in question? There was a change in jEdit, I don't remember exactly which version, but large file handling was introduced to help jEdit work better with large files, where large files are those over 4 MB or with lines longer than 4KB. Check in the menus for Utilities - Global Options - jEdit - Large files. These settings may help with your situation.

Dale

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Michael H <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale,

I'm happy to share the macro in question. Is a google drive share ok?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByEUgYFpGsfeR3hKSHdiVVZ0RXM

The file ending 1608 is the latest version.

Here are a few sample text files that it would be used on:

At the end of the script there is a dialog to load in a prefix file. You can ignore that, but the files in stylesheet folder are samples of what would get loaded.

Any advice is very welcome.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Dale Anson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale

Thanks for the pointer. Because my plugin also involves Eclipse it may be easier to host the whole thing at GitHub. If there is demand I can later put it on the plugin site with instructions about the eclipse plugin installation.

Let me go into more detail about the rational for the plugin.

Eclipse has a fantastic incremental compiler and is reliably able to compile only the changed code and the dependencies.  It has many man-years of investment to create this capability. It is unrealistic for the jEdit infrastructure to be able to compete with this.

JEdit is a fantastic editor infrastructure that is efficient and customizable. The Eclipse editor(s) can never compete with it.

The UDPListener plugin I have working lets me leverage on the advantages of both. My productivity has jumped since switching to jEdit and was further boosted with this UDPListener (I no longer have to type line numbers, I just click on the error in the Error List window).

With the focus-change auto-save beanshell script running I have seamless integration between jEdit, Eclipse and my powershell window to run my batch test scripts. My development environment has never been better.

I want to make this available but first need to be able let the community know of its existence. I tried requesting a user id at the community.jedit.org page but have had no response.  Do you know who to poke to get a response or do you have suggestions on how to let the community know.

Thanks,
Steve

On 9/29/2016 1:23 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
[...]

[ jEdit-devel ] jEdit release

Makarius
Dear jEdit administrators,

what is the situation with the release at the start of October?

I've been using the repository trunk for some weeks now, and it looks
ready to go.

        Makarius

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] jEdit release

Dale Anson-3
Makarius, any chance you've tested the new printing system? I basically gutted the old printing and replaced it with Java 7 compatible printing. It's working well for me on Linux, but it would be nice to get some feedback from Windows and Mac users.

Other than that, I think it's looking pretty good also.

Dale

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Makarius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear jEdit administrators,

what is the situation with the release at the start of October?

I've been using the repository trunk for some weeks now, and it looks
ready to go.

        Makarius

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] jEdit release

Edward Diener-2
On 10/7/2016 3:21 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
> Makarius, any chance you've tested the new printing system? I basically
> gutted the old printing and replaced it with Java 7 compatible printing.
> It's working well for me on Linux, but it would be nice to get some
> feedback from Windows and Mac users.

if you could be more specific about "testing" the new printing system on
Windows I would be glad to do it since I largely use JEdit on Windows
and have a build from the latest source I can test.

> Other than that, I think it's looking pretty good also.
>
> Dale
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Makarius <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear jEdit administrators,
>
>     what is the situation with the release at the start of October?
>
>     I've been using the repository trunk for some weeks now, and it looks
>     ready to go.
>

>             Makarius

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] jEdit release

Dale Anson-3
Edward, that would be awesome! Really, just make sure the print dialog displays properly, the settings are usable, and your printer prints the right thing based on those settings.

Thanks!

On 10/7/2016 8:49 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
> Edward, that would be awesome! Really, just make sure the print dialog
> displays properly, the settings are usable, and your printer prints the
> right thing based on those settings.
>
> Thanks!

The print dialog comes up and everything looks good. Unfortunately when
I try to print nothing comes out. I do get a message from my print
driver software

"Job sent to the printer"

but nothing is printed and when I look in the print queue for my printer
there is nothing there.

Under normal JEdit 5.3 printing works fine.

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Edward Diener
> wrote:
>
>     On 10/7/2016 3:21 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
>     > Makarius, any chance you've tested the new printing system? I basically
>     > gutted the old printing and replaced it with Java 7 compatible printing.
>     > It's working well for me on Linux, but it would be nice to get some
>     > feedback from Windows and Mac users.
>
>     if you could be more specific about "testing" the new printing system on
>     Windows I would be glad to do it since I largely use JEdit on Windows
>     and have a build from the latest source I can test.
>
>     >
>     > Other than that, I think it's looking pretty good also.
>     >
>     > Dale
>     >
>     >
>     > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Makarius <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Dear jEdit administrators,
>     >
>     >     what is the situation with the release at the start of October?
>     >
>     >     I've been using the repository trunk for some weeks now, and
>     it looks
>     >     ready to go.
>     >
>     >
>     >             Makarius

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] jEdit release

Dale Anson-3
Thanks for letting me know. I'll look around and see if I can find a Windows computer.

On 10/10/2016 4:15 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
> Thanks for letting me know. I'll look around and see if I can find a
> Windows computer.

I hope you find one. I multi-boot to Windows7, Windows8, and Linux
distros using BIBM, but I will happily admit I am a Windows guy and
still find Linux too arcane and low-level for my end-user and
programming tastes.

If you need me to test any changes, just ask. When I worked on Sessions
and ProjectViewer fixes I added lots of log messages, with particular
strings I could search for in the Activity Log, so I could see what was
happening. If you need to do this I could test and tell you what I see
in the Actitivity Log.

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Edward Diener
> wrote:
>
>     On 10/7/2016 8:49 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
>     > Edward, that would be awesome! Really, just make sure the print dialog
>     > displays properly, the settings are usable, and your printer prints the
>     > right thing based on those settings.
>     >
>     > Thanks!
>
>     The print dialog comes up and everything looks good. Unfortunately when
>     I try to print nothing comes out. I do get a message from my print
>     driver software
>
>     "Job sent to the printer"
>
>     but nothing is printed and when I look in the print queue for my printer
>     there is nothing there.
>
>     Under normal JEdit 5.3 printing works fine.
>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Edward Diener
>     > <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     > wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 10/7/2016 3:21 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
>     >     > Makarius, any chance you've tested the new printing system? I basically
>     >     > gutted the old printing and replaced it with Java 7 compatible printing.
>     >     > It's working well for me on Linux, but it would be nice to get some
>     >     > feedback from Windows and Mac users.
>     >
>     >     if you could be more specific about "testing" the new printing system on
>     >     Windows I would be glad to do it since I largely use JEdit on Windows
>     >     and have a build from the latest source I can test.
>     >
>     >     >
>     >     > Other than that, I think it's looking pretty good also.
>     >     >
>     >     > Dale
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Makarius <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>> wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >     Dear jEdit administrators,
>     >     >
>     >     >     what is the situation with the release at the start of October?
>     >     >
>     >     >     I've been using the repository trunk for some weeks now, and
>     >     it looks
>     >     >     ready to go.
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >             Makarius

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] jEdit release

Dale Anson-3
Edward, I've checked in a change in revision 24562 that turns on a bunch of log messages and fixed and off by one error that probably caused the printing to not work. I've tested on Windows 7 and do get pages out of my printer. What I don't see is the page break markers. Those are turned on by going to Utilities - Global Options - jEdit - Text Area, then checking "Page breaks".  This is working on my Linux laptop, but not on Windows 7 for some reason. I'll try to find time to look into that tomorrow. I'd appreciate it if you could try again on your Windows. I think I have access to a Windows 10 machine, if so, I'll test on that too.

Thanks,

Dale

On 10/11/2016 8:36 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
> Edward, I've checked in a change in revision 24562 that turns on a bunch
> of log messages and fixed and off by one error that probably caused the
> printing to not work. I've tested on Windows 7 and do get pages out of
> my printer.

Printing now works in my testing. Bravo !

> What I don't see is the page break markers. Those are turned
> on by going to Utilities - Global Options - jEdit - Text Area, then
> checking "Page breaks".

I checked the "Page breaks" and gave it a color, and it successfully
showed the page break line in the file I am editing in the color I
selected. I then went to print the file, first doing a preview, and it
successfully showed that it was using the page breaks to create
individual pages to print. When I subsequently printed, the page breaks
successfully marked where each printed page ended. So AFAICS page breaks
are working splendidly.

>  This is working on my Linux laptop, but not on
> Windows 7 for some reason.

I am testing under Windows 7 and it is all working fine. Java version is
1.8.0_91.

> [...]
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Makarius
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     >     >     > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>>> wrote:
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     >     Dear jEdit administrators,
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     >     what is the situation with the release at the
>     start of October?
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     >     I've been using the repository trunk for some

Awesome, thanks! I want to do a little more testing to see why the page breaks are not showing on the Windows 7 machine I have access to, it seems odd that it doesn't just work. I think I'll have the Windows 10 machine tomorrow to test with.

Dale

On 10/12/2016 8:48 PM, Dale Anson wrote:
> Awesome, thanks! I want to do a little more testing to see why the page
> breaks are not showing on the Windows 7 machine I have access to, it
> seems odd that it doesn't just work. I think I'll have the Windows 10
> machine tomorrow to test with.

Are you saying that the page breaks are not showing physically in the
file you are editing, or that the printed pages are not breaking where
the page breaks are showing, or both ?

> [...]
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     >     >     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>>>> wrote:
>     >     >     >     >
>     >     >     >     >     Dear jEdit administrators,
>     >     >     >     >
>     >     >     >     >     what is the situation with the release at the
>     >     start of October?
>     >     >     >     >     I've been using the repository trunk for some
>     >     weeks now, and
>     >     >     >     it looks
>     >     >     >     >     ready to go.
>     >     >     >     >             Makarius

The printing works fine on Windows 10. Alan, do you see any reason not to go ahead and release?

12