Using jEdit on a widescreen

Mordechai Ben-Ari
I am about to buy a new laptop and they all have "wide" screens. Since I use a relatively large font, the shortened height of these screens means that I will see fewer lines in a text area and this is serious for editing latex documents or computer programs.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to utilize the extra width of the screen to make up for the lower height?

I see that I can open new views or split views into panes, but I can't see much difference between them in terms of the editing experience. What considerations should guide the choice of one over the other?

But ... I don't usually work on two files simultaneously or two portions of a file, so what I would really like is for a continuous portion of text to be shown in two side-by-side textareas, while the movement of the caret or the scolling is synchronized. Is that possible?

Thanks

Moti

without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Re: Using jEdit on a widescreen

Shlomy Reinstein
Hi,

Please see my reply below, in between your text.

Shlomy

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Mordechai Ben-Ari <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am about to buy a new laptop and they all have "wide" screens. Since I use a relatively large font, the shortened height of these screens means that I will see fewer lines in a text area and this is serious for editing latex documents or computer programs.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to utilize the extra width of the screen to make up for the lower height?

You can add dockable windows to the right and left of the edit pane (or text area). Some dockables provide you with quick navigation. For example:
- SideKick provides a tree layout of the current buffer. For source code, you can usually use CtagsSideKick to show you the list of source code elements in the buffer and use a single click to jump to them.
- The jEdit Markers (or the MarkerSets plugin) can let you quickly jump to places in the code where you've added markers.
- Hypersearch / LucenePlugin show you the results of a search and let you jump quickly to each of the results.
I usually use SideKick + CtagsSideKick for quick navigation of source code.

I see that I can open new views or split views into panes, but I can't see much difference between them in terms of the editing experience. What considerations should guide the choice of one over the other?

A view is another top-level window (which would normally appear in you task bar as another task). As such it takes more screen space (e.g. its own title, menu, frame, dockables etc). Splitting a view into panes just requires a separator line between the panes.

But ... I don't usually work on two files simultaneously or two portions of a file, so what I would really like is for a continuous portion of text to be shown in two side-by-side textareas, while the movement of the caret or the scolling is synchronized. Is that possible?

That's an interesting idea, but unfortunately there is not such feature currently in jEdit. I haven't checked, but it might be easy to set up such a thing using a BeanShell macro - splitting the edit pane vertically, setting the top displayed line to be the next line after the lowest displayed line in the other pane, and finally synchronizing the scrollbars (this "finally" is the most complex part but it might be easy - need to check the code for that).

Thanks

Moti

without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Re: Using jEdit on a widescreen

Robert Schwenn
have You tried "View -> Toggle full-screen mode"? It can be toggled quickly via F11.

Robert

without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Re: Using jEdit on a widescreen

FORREST EVANS
I have a short-cut (I use Control-shift-T) to toggle the toolbar.  I
really don't use the toolbar that much since most of my actions are
either keyboard shortcuts or right-click context menu operations.  You
can also add things to the context menu that you might have on the
toolbar, so you don't need it as much.  That and keyboard shortcuts can
really save time while you are editing files.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my Dell Optiplex 760 PC with Windows XP Professional SP3 and
Microsoft Outlook 2007.

[...]

------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows
customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment,
and,
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Re: Using jEdit on a widescreen

Shlomy Reinstein
I lost the original email, so I'm replying in a new thread.
I created a macro (which is far from perfect, but should work) to do what you requested.
The text of the macro appears below. It splits the view into 2 edit panes, and synchronizes the scrolling between them.
The macro does not handle buffer selections; if you change the buffer in one text area, you should manually do the same in the other.
Shlomy
view.splitVertically();
Thread.sleep(1500);
EditPane[] panes = view.getEditPanes();
TextArea[] tas = new TextArea[panes.length];
for (int i = 0; i < panes.length; i++)
{
EditPane editPane = panes[i];
tas[i] = editPane.getTextArea();
}
int nLines = tas[0].getVisibleLines() - 5; // Share some lines
final TextArea first = tas[0];
final TextArea second = tas[1];
for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++) {
tas[i].addScrollListener(new ScrollListener() {
void scrolledVertically(TextArea ta)
{
TextArea other;
int change;
if (ta == first)
{ other = second; change = nLines; }
else
{ other = first; change = -nLines; }
int line = ta.getFirstLine() + change;
if (line + nLines >= ta.getLineCount())
line = ta.getLineCount() - nLines;
if (line < 0)
line = 0;
TextArea other = (ta==first)?second:first;
other.setFirstLine(line);
}
void scrolledHorizontally(TextArea textArea)
{
}
});
}

without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Re: Using jEdit on a widescreen

Mordechai Ben-Ari
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to answer.

What I really like about jEdit is the "vast" amount of screen real-estate
I get for the text/code I work on. If I need Hypersearch (etc.) occasionally,
I close it immediately after I'm finished, so I'm not really using the extra space.

A few comments:

1. I am not a mouse person so I the first thing I did when installing jEdit
many years ago was to get rid of the toolbar :-).

2. Thanks for the suggestion about fullscreen!! I didn't notice it before.

3. My next project is a LaTeX book. I couldn't get CTagsSideKick to work
with LaTeX ... . I did get Sidekick to work with LaTeXTools but I'm not
sure that is worthwhile. I've been living OK with a few commandos I wrote
with keyboard shortcuts defined. When I need to navigate, search or hypersearch
works extremely well.

4. Concerning Shlomy's response to my suggestion for showing continuous
text in two panes:

> in the other pane, and finally synchronizing the scrollbars (this "finally"
> is the most complex part but it might be easy

Presumably this is possible because JDiff does something similar.