Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

FORREST EVANS

When I type the escape key, some windows don’t close in Jedit.  I’m currently seeing this with the Plugin Manager, the About Jedit window, and the Switch Buffer plugin.  The only way to get them to close is by clicking on the “close” button.

I’m using Jedit 4.3.2 with Sun Java 1.6.0_20 on Windows XP.

Thanks,

Forrest

Sent from my PC.

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

Shlomy Reinstein
Hi,

Which OS and Java are you using?
Please note: Some time ago, I applied a patch in the 'About' dialog,
which enables users to control the scrolling of the names using the
arrow keys. That patch uses the Escape key to toggle scrolling on/off.
Was it used for closing the dialog before? If it was, I can change the
designation of the Escape key back for this dialog.

I'm on Windows XP, Sun Java 1.6.0_20, and dialogs like Plugin Manager
close when I click Escape.

Shlomy

2010/5/20 FORREST EVANS <[hidden email]>:

> When I type the escape key, some windows don’t close in Jedit.  I’m
> currently seeing this with the Plugin Manager, the About Jedit window, and
> the Switch Buffer plugin.  The only way to get them to close is by clicking
> on the “close” button.
>

> I’m using Jedit 4.3.2 with Sun Java 1.6.0_20 on Windows XP.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Forrest
>

> Sent from my PC.

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

FORREST EVANS
OS: Windows XP
Java: Sun 1.6.0_20

I don't know if the About dialog was working before.  But I'm pretty sure the Plugin Manager and Switch Buffer dialogs used to work.  This may have stopped working with Jedit 4.3.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my PC.

Please note: Some time ago, I applied a patch in the 'About' dialog,
which enables users to control the scrolling of the names using the
arrow keys. That patch uses the Escape key to toggle scrolling on/off.
Was it used for closing the dialog before? If it was, I can change the
designation of the Escape key back for this dialog.

I'm on Windows XP, Sun Java 1.6.0_20, and dialogs like Plugin Manager
close when I click Escape.

Shlomy

2010/5/20 FORREST EVANS <[hidden email]>:

> When I type the escape key, some windows don't close in Jedit.  I'm
> currently seeing this with the Plugin Manager, the About Jedit window, and
> the Switch Buffer plugin.  The only way to get them to close is by clicking
> on the "close" button.
>

> I'm using Jedit 4.3.2 with Sun Java 1.6.0_20 on Windows XP.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Forrest
>

> Sent from my PC.

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

Robert Schwenn
FORREST EVANS schrieb:

> I don't know if the About dialog was working before.  But I'm pretty sure the Plugin Manager and Switch Buffer dialogs used to work.  This may have stopped working with Jedit 4.3.

The Plugin Manager and the About dialog could never been closed by ESC
unless ESC was bound to the "close-docking-area" action.

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

Robert Schwenn
Sorry, I wasn't correct: For me, the Plugin Manager didn't close on ESC
in jEdit 4.2 but is does in jEdit 4.3 (even with original shortcut
assignments).

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

FORREST EVANS
Does the window need to be docked for this to work?  These windows are
floating in my setup.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my PC.

FORREST EVANS wrote:
> Does the window need to be docked for this to work?  These windows are
> floating in my setup.

No, just tried with floating dockables and they closed on ESC.

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

FORREST EVANS
I think I finally figured out the problem.  It appears to be a problem
with the Look and Feel plug-in when using the Substance Look and Feel.
I tried the latest Substance Look and Feel, but it appears that the
plug-in is not compatible with it.  I guess I'll use the
Lipstick/Zenburn Look and Feel, since it's the closest thing to
Substance/Raven.  It doesn't have this problem.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my PC.

> Does the window need to be docked for this to work?  These windows are
> floating in my setup.

No, just tried with floating dockables and they closed on ESC.

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

Dale Anson
Administrator
Thanks for pointing out that there is a new version of Substance LAF.  I updated the Look and Feel plugin to use it and put in a release request, so hopefully it'll be available in the next few days.

Dale

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM, FORREST EVANS <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I finally figured out the problem.  It appears to be a problem
with the Look and Feel plug-in when using the Substance Look and Feel.
I tried the latest Substance Look and Feel, but it appears that the
plug-in is not compatible with it.  I guess I'll use the
Lipstick/Zenburn Look and Feel, since it's the closest thing to
Substance/Raven.  It doesn't have this problem.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my PC.

> Does the window need to be docked for this to work?  These windows are
> floating in my setup.

No, just tried with floating dockables and they closed on ESC.

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

Dale Anson
Administrator
By the way, the new Substance only has one version of Raven, and it's darker than it used to be.  RavenGraphite and RavenGraphiteGlass have been removed.  Magma has been removed also.  The Twilight theme is close to the old Raven, I think.

Dale

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Dale Anson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that there is a new version of Substance LAF.  I updated the Look and Feel plugin to use it and put in a release request, so hopefully it'll be available in the next few days.

Dale

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM, FORREST EVANS <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I finally figured out the problem.  It appears to be a problem
with the Look and Feel plug-in when using the Substance Look and Feel.
I tried the latest Substance Look and Feel, but it appears that the
plug-in is not compatible with it.  I guess I'll use the
Lipstick/Zenburn Look and Feel, since it's the closest thing to
Substance/Raven.  It doesn't have this problem.

Thanks,
Forrest

Sent from my PC.

> Does the window need to be docked for this to work?  These windows are
> floating in my setup.

No, just tried with floating dockables and they closed on ESC.

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

FORREST EVANS

Thanks for the update.  I’ll give it shot when it shows up.

Thanks,

Forrest

Sent from my PC.

> Does the window need to be docked for this to work?  These windows are
> floating in my setup.

No, just tried with floating dockables and they closed on ESC.

Robert

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

Vampire (jEdit)
+1 for that

Besides that, the scrolling controlling behaves very strange in my opinion. Try up/down key while the list is not filling the whole dialog. Besides that, the wrapping around should maybe not done like that. Either a gap of some lines or a full height, or no wrapping around while manually controlling the scrolling should maybe happen.

Alan Ezust schrieb:

[...]

I agree. I also found it strange, but I applied this patch because it
provided *some* solution for those who want to see their names which
appear at the end of the list. Ordinary users probably do not try to
use up/down in this dialog.

When I have some free time for this, I'll fix it (if no one else fixes
it before me).

Shlomy

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Vampire (jEdit) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for that
>
> Besides that, the scrolling controlling behaves very strange in my opinion.
> Try up/down key while the list is not filling the whole dialog. Besides
> that, the wrapping around should maybe not done like that. Either a gap of
> some lines or a full height, or no wrapping around while manually
> controlling the scrolling should maybe happen.
>
> Alan Ezust schrieb:
>
> I think for the About dialog, it would make more  sense for ENTER and ESCAPE
> to dismiss the dialog, and for SPACE to pause the scrolling of the list.
>
> --alan
>

> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Shlomy Reinstein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Which OS and Java are you using?
>> Please note: Some time ago, I applied a patch in the 'About' dialog,
>> which enables users to control the scrolling of the names using the
>> arrow keys. That patch uses the Escape key to toggle scrolling on/off.
>> Was it used for closing the dialog before? If it was, I can change the
>> designation of the Escape key back for this dialog.
>>
>> I'm on Windows XP, Sun Java 1.6.0_20, and dialogs like Plugin Manager
>> close when I click Escape.
>>
>> Shlomy

Re: Some Windows Don't Close for Escape Key

FORREST EVANS

I tried out the latest  L&F plugin with the latest Substance L&F and they work fine.  All of the window closing problems are gone.  The Graphite L&F’s seem to be what I was used to before.

Thanks again,

Forrest

Sent from my PC.