Re: [ jEdit-users ] unicode entirely via buffer

Re: [ jEdit-users ] unicode entirely via buffer

e-letter
Sorry, forgot to edit the subject field in the previous message.

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:17:27 -0700
> From: Alan Ezust <[hidden email]>

> Character Map plugin shows you the characters and lets you click on them to
> see or enter the characters that way.

This is too inconvenient personally.

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:27:22 -0400
> From: maxwell <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking.  If the buffer's encoding is set to a
> Unicode encoding (presumably UTF-8), you can certainly enter Unicode
> chars, including non-ASCII Unicode chars.

In leafpad:

ctrl+shift u00a9

produces

©

In jedit:

00a9

Re: [ jEdit-users ] unicode entirely via buffer

Jesse Pavel
Hello,

You can take a look at some Input Compose macros I wrote a while back, which can, among all sorts of other substitutions, convert text of the form "(00a9)U+" to ©. You can define your own substitutions, so that "(c)" would map to ©, etc.  Take a look at documentation at the head of this file

If you want to use these macros, put JP_Input_Compose_Startup.bsh and JP_Input_Compose_Table.txt in your jEdit startup directory, and bind JP_Input_Compose.bsh to a keystroke.

Jesse

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 12:47 PM, e-letter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, forgot to edit the subject field in the previous message.

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:17:27 -0700
> From: Alan Ezust <[hidden email]>

> Character Map plugin shows you the characters and lets you click on them to
> see or enter the characters that way.

This is too inconvenient personally.

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:27:22 -0400
> From: maxwell <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking.  If the buffer's encoding is set to a
> Unicode encoding (presumably UTF-8), you can certainly enter Unicode
> chars, including non-ASCII Unicode chars.

In leafpad:

ctrl+shift u00a9

produces

©

In jedit:

00a9

Re: [ jEdit-users ] unicode entirely via buffer

e-letter

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:17:27 -0700
> From: Alan Ezust <[hidden email]>
> JakartaCommons plugin has actions "escape unicode" and "unescape unicode".

The plug-in is > 2 mb which is unacceptable and it does not seem
possible to enter unicode character exclusively via keyboard unicode
combinations; thanks all anyway for the suggestions.