Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Jarekczek
Administrator

W dniu 2012-08-27 12:25, Matthieu Casanova pisze:
> Hi,
> we don't have this feature, but we have the api to do that.
> The Hyperlinks plugin is made for that.

Matthieu, Hyperlinks plugin provides a different user interface than I
thought of. I don't want every file to be scanned online and have
hyperlinks in it. I want to have a command to launch when the caret is
inside a filename, on demand.

I think I'll write a macro or code to do it. May I add it to the
SmartOpen plugin? It's description says "SmartOpen is another plugin
that will help you to quickly open your files.", which fits the idea
perfectly.

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
Smartopen is different, it is similar to Fastopen, the file need to be indexed.
Otherwise you can write a macro that will open the file where your caret is.

Administrator
Matthieu, you missed my question. Could you answer it?

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
No, it's you that missed my answer.
I'm trying to help, you were talking about includes in C, and path in files.
I tried to help and gave a solution.
You don't like this solution, ok, in that case write a macro, try to detect if
your caret is on a filename or path and open that file, it's easy.

2012/8/29 Jarekczek <[hidden email]>
Matthieu, you missed my question. Could you answer it?

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
And don't add it to Smartopen, I think it would be better in jEdit itself in file macros.

2012/8/29 Matthieu Casanova <[hidden email]>
No, it's you that missed my answer.
I'm trying to help, you were talking about includes in C, and path in files.
I tried to help and gave a solution.
You don't like this solution, ok, in that case write a macro, try to detect if
your caret is on a filename or path and open that file, it's easy.

2012/8/29 Jarekczek <[hidden email]>
Matthieu, you missed my question. Could you answer it?

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Jarekczek
Administrator
I was thinking about a plugin, because it would be possible to add a configuration pane. In jEdit core I don't see such a possibility.

Well, maybe I'll just write the macro for private use.

Thanks
Jarek

W dniu 2012-08-29 11:37, Matthieu Casanova pisze:
And don't add it to Smartopen, I think it would be better in jEdit itself in file macros.

2012/8/29 Matthieu Casanova <[hidden email]>
No, it's you that missed my answer.
I'm trying to help, you were talking about includes in C, and path in files.
I tried to help and gave a solution.
You don't like this solution, ok, in that case write a macro, try to detect if
your caret is on a filename or path and open that file, it's easy.

2012/8/29 Jarekczek <[hidden email]>
Matthieu, you missed my question. Could you answer it?

Live Security Virtual Conference

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

daliborp

Well, such macro would be useful in general and if you write it maybe you would share it?

Tnx,

Dalibor Petričević

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Shlomy Reinstein
There's already a macro that does something similar. You can select the file name, then invoke Macros -> Files -> Open selection.
It's less convenient because you have to select the file name first, not just put the caret on it.

However is this what you've been looking for? Note that in C files, the H file specified is not necessarily in the same directory. It is on the include path of the project. For this reason, I usually copy the file name, open SmartOpen and paste the name there.

Shlomy

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM, daliborp <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, such macro would be useful in general and if you write it maybe you would share it?

Tnx,

Dalibor Petričević

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

With FastOpen, you don't need to copy/paste - you just put the cursor
over the thing you want to open and it uses that to decide what to
open.
Why do you need to copy it into the clipboard first?

And what does your macro do that fastopen doesn't already do?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Shlomy Reinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's already a macro that does something similar. You can select the file
> name, then invoke Macros -> Files -> Open selection.
> It's less convenient because you have to select the file name first, not
> just put the caret on it.
>
> However is this what you've been looking for? Note that in C files, the H
> file specified is not necessarily in the same directory. It is on the
> include path of the project. For this reason, I usually copy the file name,
> open SmartOpen and paste the name there.
>
> Shlomy
>

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM, daliborp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, such macro would be useful in general and if you write it maybe you
>> would share it?
>>

>> Tnx,
>>

>> Dalibor Petričević

I haven't used FastOpen in a long time, I use SmartOpen instead. SmartOpen also uses what's under the caret but it's usually just part of the filename, which is not necessarily what I want. Personally, typing the name of the file is faster than selecting it and pasting in the dialog, so I just open the dialog and type it there.

What do you mean by "your macro"? I didn't write it, it seems to have existed in jEdit forever...
I used it a long time ago. I just wrote about it here so others won't write the same thing. In contrast with SmartOpen, it opens the selected path, even if it is not in the current project.

Shlomy

W dniu 08/29/2012 02:45 PM, Shlomy Reinstein pisze:
> There's already a macro that does something similar. You can select
> the file name, then invoke Macros -> Files -> Open selection.
> It's less convenient because you have to select the file name first,
> not just put the caret on it.

It's by Slava. Thanks for pointing it. I will extend it. I even found a
way to make it configurable.

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] open files linked from the current file

Shlomy Reinstein
How do you make it configurable?
There are two ways that I've been using for configuring macros:
1. Create GUI for configuration in the macro
2. Use jEdit properties without GUI, and then use the BeanShell Console to set these properties
I'm interested to know other ways (is it better to open a new thread on this?).

Thanks,
Shlomy