Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [ jEdit-users ] ctagsinterface tags refreshing

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [ jEdit-users ] ctagsinterface tags refreshing

Jarekczek
Administrator
W dniu 2012-05-26 07:58, Jarek Czekalski pisze:

> Hi people
>
> I use CtagsInterface and suddenly I discovered that the directory tree
> that is being tagged at the moment is being tagged with improper
> invocation options. So I stopped tagging through Task Monitor. I
> corrected ctags invocation options.
>
> How do I refresh the tags now?
>
> Thanks
> Jarek

I still have the problem with refreshing tags. I modified the files, but
ctagsinterface doesn't see that. How do I make it refresh tags? Is the
automatic refresh the only option?

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [ jEdit-users ] ctagsinterface tags refreshing

Shlomy Reinstein
If the directory tree is a project (in ProjectViewer), you simply right click the project and select "Update project in tag index" (probably someone changed the name of this action, I don't recall naming it that way).
If the directory tree is not part of a project, you simply right click the root and select "Plugins -> Add source tree to tag index".

The tag information that existed in the database for these files will be erased, Ctags will be executed again with the new options, and its tag information will be inserted to the database.

Thanks,
Shlomy

W dniu 2012-07-26 16:07, Shlomy Reinstein pisze:
> If the directory tree is a project (in ProjectViewer), you simply [...]
> If the directory tree is not part of a project, you simply [...]

And if there were many single files tagged? How do I refresh the
database then?

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [ jEdit-users ] ctagsinterface tags refreshing

Shlomy Reinstein
My implementation of CtagsInterface did not support single files. Tom added support for it, and I wasn't familiar with his addition until recently. If you like, you can open a feature request in the tracker for refreshing the entire database, and I (or anyone else who wishes to) will implement it sometime soon.

Apart from this, you can get CtagsInterface to automatically refresh your single files by selecting the option "Refresh file tags when loaded" and then opening them in jEdit. I use this option to make sure that the tags of all the files I open are always up-to-date when I start editing.

Thanks,
Shlomy

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]> wrote:

W dniu 2012-07-26 16:07, Shlomy Reinstein pisze:
If the directory tree is a project (in ProjectViewer), you simply [...]
If the directory tree is not part of a project, you simply [...]

And if there were many single files tagged? How do I refresh the database then?

Jarek

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [ jEdit-users ] ctagsinterface tags refreshing

Jarekczek
Administrator

W dniu 2012-09-19 09:36, Tom Power pisze:
The "Refresh file tags when saved" would seem to solve the problem, is there a reason not to have that on, or was it on but didn't work Jarek?

It works, but it introduces a noticeable delay. I save very often and prefer to have it off. And the load update neither.

Jarek

Happy to add the actions above (in an "update" section of the menu?) or the multiple select anyway, might take a while though.

The folding implementation would defiantly take some time for me to do Shlomy but interested to have a look, a long term project :¬)

Thanks

Tom

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Shlomy Reinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can use the option "Refresh file tags when saved". Whenever I code a new function (or tag) that I want to see immediately in the database, I just save the buffer and it is automatically updated.

Shlomy

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Jarek Czekalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom

In my use case "Refresh tags database" (all) would be most helpful. When I see that a tag is missing, which I coded a minute ago, I would just call "Refresh tags database", without thinking whether I'm using a project, tree or single files. I know that this is good only when the database is small.

The outcome of this discussion is a green light for me. You don't necessary have to work on this feature. Although if you introduce another option that I could use, I'd probably stop thinking about "Refresh tags database" action. Seems like if "Tag" button would respect multi-selection, it would be an acceptable workaround. Though this is not something one can bind to a shortcut.

Thanks
Jarek

W dniu 2012-09-18 23:22, Tom Power pisze:
This only refreshes the selected file as with the trees, archives, projects. Worth adding "Tag all" buttons for those option panes or an update all single files action? Aren't logical places elsewhere in the ui you can click on as with projects/trees.

PS: going to have another look at that folding stuff for the tag preview Shlomy