Quantcast

Plugin uninstall

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
Hi, I think the plugin api is missing something : uninstallation.
Several plugins write files in the settings directory, but those files aren't removed when removing plugins.
We should also rationalize the settings of the plugins.
Maybe a method could return the path where the plugins could write their settings, this name would be something like
settingsDirectory/plugins/pluginName
and when removing a plugin, jEdit would ask if the user wants to delete the settings of the plugin or keep them.
By default removing those settings would only remove this folder, but the plugin could overwrite the method to do some different job

Matthieu

Re: Plugin uninstall

Randall Schulz
Matthieu,

On Monday 13 November 2006 06:12, Matthieu Casanova wrote:
> Hi, I think the plugin api is missing something : uninstallation.
> Several plugins write files in the settings directory, but those
> files aren't removed when removing plugins.

If this ability is added, it should only be an option. Sometimes one
removes a plug-in only temporarily, say for testing. In that case, one
certainly does not want its settings to be discarded.

> Matthieu

Randall Schulz

Re: Plugin uninstall

Matthieu Casanova
Administrator
2006/11/13, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]>:
Matthieu,

On Monday 13 November 2006 06:12, Matthieu Casanova wrote:
> Hi, I think the plugin api is missing something : uninstallation.
> Several plugins write files in the settings directory, but those
> files aren't removed when removing plugins.

If this ability is added, it should only be an option. Sometimes one
removes a plug-in only temporarily, say for testing. In that case, one
certainly does not want its settings to be discarded.

Yes of course it would require confirmation.
But if we can rationalize a little the folders where plugins write their files it will be easy to cleanup even after the plugin was removed. We only have to check for folders that do not belong to any installed plugin for example.

Re: Plugin uninstall

Randall Schulz
Matthieu,

On Monday 13 November 2006 07:04, Matthieu Casanova wrote:

> 2006/11/13, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]>:
> > Matthieu,
> >
> > On Monday 13 November 2006 06:12, Matthieu Casanova wrote:
> > > Hi, I think the plugin api is missing something : uninstallation.
> > > Several plugins write files in the settings directory, but those
> > > files aren't removed when removing plugins.
> >
> > If this ability is added, it should only be an option. Sometimes
> > one removes a plug-in only temporarily, say for testing. In that
> > case, one certainly does not want its settings to be discarded.
>
> Yes of course it would require confirmation.

I'd much prefer a separate option in the form of a check-box labelled
something like "Also remove plug-in's settings" over an alert
requesting confirmation of removing the plug-in's settings.

> But if we can rationalize a little the folders where plugins write
> their files it will be easy to cleanup even after the plugin was
> removed. We only have to check for folders that do not belong to any
> installed plugin for example.

I'm not disagreeing with this part.

Randall Schulz